Water leaking in trunk and rear seat 1998 prelude with sun r

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

haroldh
Prelude Enthusiast

Water leaking in trunk and rear seat 1998 prelude with sun r

Post by haroldh »

Hello bought this car for my teen age daughter she told me that water is in the trunk in the spare tire well also rear seat behind passenger seat is also wet I tried to have someone crawl inside as I soak it with a hose but no luck it did feel damp ontop of shock mount was just woundering if this might be a coman problem if anyone can help I would be for ever greatfull
thanks Harold

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Water leaking in trunk and rear seat 1998 prelude with sun r

Post by spiffyguido »

This problem usually results from a faulty sunroof drainage system. It's not terribly common, but it does happen.

Your Prelude will have a few hoses that run from around the sunroof mount (usually visible between the roof liner and the metal roof) towards the back of the car. These hoses are supposed to carry the water that seeps in around the sunroof and dump them back outside. If they become unhooked or plugged (leaves, dirt, etc), the water will run inside the liner, down the wall and usually into the rear seat and trunk. To start, open up the sunroof and take a peek in between the roof liner and the roof to look for the hoses. Make sure they're hooked up properly. From there you just have to follow them and see where the problem is. Don't forget that they can also be plugged at the exit, which I believe exits into the rear fender wells. Don't take off your roof liner, but you may need to remove a panel or two in the trunk to see how it all works.

I'm most familiar with 3rd generation preludes (1988-1991), but I'm sure a user with 5th gen experience will hop in here to give you better instructions.