no fuel/spark

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

fearfat
Prelude Enthusiast

no fuel/spark

Post by fearfat »

hi everyone..prelude newbie here... i just bought a 92 for $500..its in awesome shape just has no spark or fuel at the eng..the rotor has zero output and all fuel lines disconnected do not pump any when cycle key. it cranks and tries but since theres no go in it it obviously wont kick over... ideas? ive heard the CPS is a common issue and can prevent starting, coudl eb ECU or MAP, i really dont know..little help much appreciated.. this is a gas saver since the family rig is a loaded up saab 9-7x (5.3 V8 AWD) and i run a trailed out jeep myself.. thanks in advance
-matt

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: no fuel/spark

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Matt,

Welcome to PreludeDriver. We're glad you found us.

A few things I'd like you to check.

First of all, is your fuel pump working? When you turn the key to the 'on' (not start position) position after the car has bee sitting for a short while you should hear the fuel pump engage and pressurize the fuel lines. If you do this with your driver's side door open, it is really easy to hear. Check that you hear the pump.

Also, I'd like you to check and see if your engine is throwing any codes. THere are directions on how to do that:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

Finally, what engine do you have? Do you have the 2.2 litre. Just let us know what the stamp on your engine block says (front of engine, where the block meets the tranny bell housing).

fearfat
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by fearfat »

the fuel pump is not pressurizing, no sounds... but since there also no spark, even if i fog the intake w/starter fluid she wont kick, then saw the no spark issue.. if the ECM is f-ed up would that cause both issues?
i believe its the 2.2, i could check but not this minute, busy and whatnot today with wifes birthday and all, plus night classes after work (im in the Marine Corps)

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Your problem definitely sounds electrical. I'm begining to wonder if your main relay is to blame for this since your spark and fuel don't seem to be working. Either that or your ignition switch in the 'on' position is hatched, but that's less likely. Pull out your main relay and have a look at it; they go bad from time to time.

The information on : http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

will help you out.

fearfat
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by fearfat »

alright got some trouble shooting in today with a honda/vw oriented frined... relays are working (can hear/feel clicks)..we swaooed uin and out a new main relay for the hell of it since it was in the glove box.... did a ECM test, it failed, got one froma local u-pull it yard, but it was froma 92 lude si, tried anyway, it failed the test too.... he brought along a whole trouble shooting guide and it all still points to the ECM but hes gonna do some more digging and see what else is possible, if somehow CPS, and try to track down a known good ECM since this one may be toasted anyway

Crash_Control
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 base

Post by Crash_Control »

The main relays on our cars will click like they are working but due to connection issues inside won't allow the power through to the fuel pump and distributer.
If you pop the cover off the relay and check the solder joints you can usually see breaks in the solder connections.
If you are handy with a soldering pencil it easy to resolder all the connections.