crankshaft pulley removal 2nd gen

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

crankshaft pulley removal 2nd gen

Post by kytarheel71 »

87 Prelude Si Automatic
I am in need of help. I am trying to remove the crankshaft pulley. All of my belts including timing belt need changed. We have loosened 2 of the 3 drive belts so far. Having trouble getting the 2 drive belt in off but thats not the major issue. How in the hell do you loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt. The entire crank turns no matter what we do. It has to stay at TDC. I have searched every forum and the suggestions i have read are awful. Sounds like u could do some serious damage. The haynes manual says to place a long screwdriver in the ring gear teeth and hold while you crank away on the bolt. We cant find anywhere to put the screwdriver to get enough leverage and without damaging stuff around it. The only tool i have found is for 3 rd gen and it's a hexagonal shaped fixture that fits in perfect. This is perfectly round with nothing to fit against. I really need someone to help me out here! I cant afford to take this to a shop.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: crankshaft pulley removal 2nd gen

Post by spiffyguido »

Don't worry, we'll get this sorted out for you.

The crankshaft pulley bolts are always really tight. I had a great deal of trouble when I had to take one off as well. Usually the easiest way to get them off is to use an impact wrench as this puts far more torque on the bolt than you will be able to do. You can also try using a long breaker bar, but you will likely need a few extensions to the handle to get enough torque to break the seize.

People have been telling you to stick a screwdriver against the flywheel cogs. This really will only work if you have a manual transmission. Your flywheel will be a lot different, and unless you can find a place to wedge the screwdriver into your automatic transmission flywheel, you may need to find another place to lock things up. Best bet is really to use the impact wrench, as it applies force so quickly that you really don't need to lock anything up. Do you have an impact wrench?

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

I will be borrowing one. What about the TDC issue? What if it doesnt come loose with the impact gun only.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You can use the marks on the flywheel and cam gears to find top dead center. Let me know if you need help on how to do this.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

Yeah, could you tell me what i need to do so i get this right. Thanks

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Okay.

When you go to put everything back together, you need to align the crankshaft and the cam gear before you put the timing belt back on. Your cam gear should have an up mark on it, and a notch on on its face. The up mark point up, and the notch gets aligned with the edge of the cylinder head.

To line up your crank, spin the crank until you can see the mark on your flywheel (visible through the port on the front side of your transmission bell housing where it meets the engine) line up with the reference pointer on the block. It's not hard to do. Once all is lined up, the belt can go on and all will be fine. Make sure you put the timing belt on so that the rotation direction is correct. Furthermore, if you do remove your belt tensioner, make absolutely sure that you torque it correctly when you re-install otherwise you'll shred the belt.

I'll find a picture from a Honda manual if I can to help you further.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

thanks for your help so far. Still trying to locate an impact wrench to borrow. The info on this site has been the most helpful out of any of the prelude sites that i have tried. Again thanks for your help, i"ll let you know how it goes, we got the other 3 belts off just the bolt now.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Great.

Please do check back when you get further. We're happy to help and very glad to have your membership here. Tell others.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

got an impact wrench and have tried at least 12 times and it will not break loose. My compressor is only rated to 125 psi and it was a snap on impact wrench not a cheapie. About ready to give up.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It'll come, they're always really tight.

Stock torque is 83 ft/lbs, but it will be way tighter than that after so much use. Make sure you're turning it the right way (lefty-loosy).

Another thing you can try is putting some heat on the bolt and letting it heat and cool a few times. Propane can work for this, but usually acetylene is better if you have it. Heating the bolt causes it to expand, and that can help break the seize sometimes.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

I will try that. Will probably be a week or so, i had to return the impact gun and i will have to wait until i get it back.

Crash_Control
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 base

Post by Crash_Control »

Yes our crank pulley bolts seem to weld themselves in place I have had to use a 3/4 impact to get those bolts loose sometimes.
If you don't have access to a larger impact I have heard of someone getting a mobile tire service to come and remove the bolt using a 1 inch impact.