speedometer not working

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

speedometer not working

Post by kytarheel71 »

speedometer and odometer is not working on my 87 prelude. I have disconnected and reconnected the cable and it still does not work. I am having transmisssion troubles so i dont know if something has broke loose. the transmission is going to be replaced soon as it is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thnks in advance.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: speedometer not working

Post by spiffyguido »

I can think of two possibilities off the top of my head.

First, it may be that your speedo cable has broken. Speedo cables can break on occasion, especially if the connection with the transmission is poor. Did your speedo used to bounce a bit or stop working momentarily when it was functional?

The other possibility is that your cable is not connected properly. Your speedo cable will push down into the speed sensor on your transmission. There is a small metal clip that has to be used to keep it in place, otherwise it will became dislodged. Doublecheck to make sure it is hooked up correctly.

If you're sure it's not the above, then it may be related to the speed sensory unit on the tranny itself. Maybe wait until you get a new tranny and try then.

kytarheel71
Prelude Guide

Post by kytarheel71 »

the clip that holds the cable onto the top of the speed sensor is gone. The cable is just sitting there loose. I have looked on the honda parts websites but they do not have the option of buying the clip. It's part number 8 and they go from 7 to 9 with no 8 listed. I dont see how i can rig anything up because i dont know what the clip is supposed to look like. If i had a decent pic i might could figure something out. I will also try junkyards but have not had any luck finding parts in my area. Thanks for the info.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Keep trying to find the clip in a wrecker. It's actually a very imporant part. It's very small, made of wire and can be removed with your fingers.