Apexi Vafc

Post by jasong719 »

good? bad? info!!!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

No personal experience with that product.

That's the VTEC controlling one, right?

From what I've read, the install is easy. Similar difficulty to installing a stereo. Just be careful, and you won't have problems.

The VFAC units are ECU piggyback systems, so you have to be careful with how you set them. Unless you really know what you're doing, I would take the car to a tuner with dyno after the install to get it tuned. The VAFC unit work by modifying your fuel maps, and as we all know, a bad fuel map is enough to totally destroy your engine.

What are you going to use it for? Are you just wanting to change your VTEC engagement point? Or are you putting together a turbo system? I have read a lot of things that say if you're going to be doing some real tuning, it is better and safer to use a standalone system and not an ECU piggyback. Hondata ECUs are common standalone units used by many tuners.

Apexi does make good stuff. I've heard that the VAFC II is better than the VAFC I.

jasong719
Lude Dude

Post by jasong719 »

yeah I'm doing some performance upgrades and was going to adjust my fuel maps and vtec engagement point. Believe me, I have a shop that is really up on that kind of tuning and they will be handeling that. So do you use the haondata ECU? Thanks!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

No. I don't have a Hondata. But I know people that have used them with great success. Let us know how the VAFC works out.

Sir Kyle
Lude Dude

Post by Sir Kyle »

I use the apexi Neo. I guess its both of the units in one. (fuel curve, Vtec control and a monitor) The install is extremely difficult and tedious unless you’re good with wires. I used a harness made by boomslang. Install took about 15 min, just an extension to your ECU. I’d recommend it. It’s one of my favorite mods on my prelude. :D

jasong719
Lude Dude

Post by jasong719 »

I can always count on you guys for great info, Thanks!!!!

dirtylude09
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: Apexi Vafc

Post by dirtylude09 »

question.
I have a vafc on my 97.
basically stock just

full exhaust
cai
& some small stuff.

can anyone tell meif they have any similar tuning that i could use or helpful hints.?

i would appreciate it. :)

Sir Kyle
Lude Dude

Post by Sir Kyle »

The best way is to get it on dyno and have it tuned by a pro. Do some research in your area and find a shop. It will be a little expensive ($200-$300) bet the resualt is a great running lude. I've seen people get 18whp on a stock H22 after a dyno session, just depends on how good your tuner is. Good luck.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

+1 for taking it to a dyno and experienced tuner.

...and I think Sir Kyle meant 180whp on a stock H22.

Sir Kyle
Lude Dude

Post by Sir Kyle »

spiffyguido wrote:
...and I think Sir Kyle meant 180whp on a stock H22.
No I mean 18whp gains on a stock H22 from a piggyback. And when I say stock I'm talking about the block and head, not bolt ons.