Rear Speaker Removal

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

96vtec
Lude Dude

Rear Speaker Removal

Post by 96vtec »

The woofer between the rear seats is making noises like it is cracked.
Is there an easy way to remove it? It looks like I can get at it from the trunk, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

From the diagram I have, it looks as though it can be removed from the back. Hard to say for sure though. Anyone?

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

I just went and looked at that center piece in my car. I don't have the speaker, but the process should be the same. Mine's a 1995. Not that much difference other than the panel has a speaker cover (like yours) or doesn't.
(like mine)

So, this is just based on what I saw in my car and what I read about removing the "rear console trim" in the manual....so, no promises, but you can try and see what happens.

The rear, passenger side seatback flips down for a pass-thru to the trunk, so you can put long objects in the trunk.

There is a key lock on the top of the trunk deck shelf that releases the seatback. Use your ignition key to unlock the lock and flip the seat down.

Now, with the seat down take a look at the bottom side of that speaker center panel. There should be a plastic pop-out plug down there. And if you push the seat back foam in with your hand on the other rear seat, you should be able to access that same plug on the other side.

Remove those two plastic anchor/plugs and then lift that middle panel up and off. BUT be careful, because, according to the shop manual diagram, there are two plastic trim locks at each of the top corners of that piece and they hold the top of the panel in a locked down position so it remains flush with the trunk deck. DON'T BREAK THEM OFF by forcing it up or out.

I don't know if the panel slides directly up, lifts out at an angle or what - I've never removed this piece before. Just take your time and gently feel your way through it until they release.

Once you get that done you should be able to access the mouth that holds the speaker in place. Just remove the screws. I think there are 4 of them.

You can not go at it from the trunk because the piece is originally installed from inside the cabin, facing the rear. If you go at it from the trunk you won't be able to access the screws that hold the speaker in place.

Like I said, I just went into the garage and looked at my rear seat and middle panel, and based on my doing the same thing that I just told you to do, this is how I would go about getting the cover off.

Here is a link to a parts diagram of the rear speaker -- might help to see it.

http://tinyurl.com/24gpkw (look at the left side of the diagram for the center speaker...and get a load of the price that Honda wants for that speaker ......LMAO! $145.43 !!!!!!! But you get a discount at Majestic, $108.00......) It's just a 6x9 but I think it might have some kind of pre-amp on it or something, if I remember correctly)

Also, I have uploaded a 4th gen manual (doesn't cover all aspects of the OBDII 1996 model, but it will give you the basics for most things 4th gen.

Here's the manual download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1njqxn1dmtg

You can go to the "body" section of the manual and look at the rear seat removal section and the console removal section and get an idea of how everything is put together back there.

Hope this was helpful. Come back and let us know if you have success.

96vtec
Lude Dude

Post by 96vtec »

Perfect advice. Once the bottom clips were off, I found that the top of the cover came off when I pulled it straight toward me. You just have to keep the seat material out of the way. It's a simple operation when you know what you're doing. Mine is original equip I think--a 6x9 two way Alpine P/N 39120-SSO-A210-M1. The crappy thing is that you have to buy a pair of speakers to get one. Maybe that's why Honda is so expensive.
You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help!

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Hey 96, you're very welcome and I'm glad to know that it worked for you!

Thanks for coming back and letting us know that it worked. Now we have proof for one more piece of working knowledge in the future, should someone else need to know.

Yeah, it's just a 6x9 I think, but isn't there like some kind of preamp or other little electronic thing attached to the mount or the speaker? Or am I just imagining that? I swear somebody told me that the speaker had an amp or something on it to pump a little more bass out of it.......

Does yours just have the speaker connections (pos and neg) or is there something else plugged in to the speaker or the frame?

Just curious.

Thanks!
Josh

96vtec
Lude Dude

Post by 96vtec »

Just a simple connection (+ and - ) is all I saw. Yes, I was surprised that there wasn't an amp. I thought the speaker was a sub woofer but...........

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Thanks for letting me (us) know!