Wheel Alignment.

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ohenry
Lude Dude

Wheel Alignment.

Post by ohenry »

Hey,
First off, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say Hi. I own an 88 prelude 4WS SI.

Anyways, i need to get my wheels aligned, but i heard that for 4WS models, you would need a special "alignment pin". Not sure if this is true or is it just a rumor.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

ohenry - Welcome! Glad to have you here at PDriver!

As far as I know, (and I will tell you up front that 3rd gens are not my specialty) the 1988 4WS was totally mechanical and does not require a lock-pin to align.

On the next version of 4WS, they went to electronic, with sensors and actuators and the rear actuator has to have a lock-pin in place to prevent damage to the actuator when working on or aligning the system. So I believe you are good to go.

I'm pretty sure that Spiffyquido will know this answer, he will be around soon to let you know if I am right or wrong.

Hang on until you hear from him just to be sure. He'll get to ya soon I bet.

And again, welcome.

~ Josh

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

welcome ohenry. Glad to have you here.

RedRacer is right about the 3rd gen 4ws system being fully mechanical, but there IS an alignment tool. It's a very special tool made specifically for the 3rd gen 4ws system. Unless you have the tool, I would take your lude to a Honda dealership to get it done. Don't go to another alignment shop, only Honda will do this correctly. When you get to the dealership ask to speak to a mechanic and ask if they have the 'Special alignment tool' for the rear rack of a 3rd gen prelude. If you get a blank stare, go to another dealership. You'll find someone who knows what you're talking about and knows how to do it right. Most dealerships should have the tool.

When I asked the question above, the mechanic was not only able to tell me about the tool, but also how it was supposed to be used. Honda mechanics are generally well trained, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone that will no the alignment properly.

ohenry
Lude Dude

Post by ohenry »

Oh, interesting. Thanks for your help. :D