New Member looking for your wisdom

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

Prelude2adream
Prelude Enthusiast

New Member looking for your wisdom

Post by Prelude2adream »

Whats going on fellow Prelude Drivers? I just recently bought a 1987 Prelude as a winter beater. There are lots of small problems with it that I came on here to research. A few of these things are the locks don't work, the stereo doesnt work, the brakes need tuning, the shift cables need to be replaced(I think), new battery, and thats basically it. If anyone has any tips, words of wisdom, or general knowledge of anything in the list above that would be greatly appreciated. Its a great little car and the thing can move so I can't wait to get it up and running to terrorize this town. By the way, I am located in Edmonton, Alberta. Keep your valschwitzney's wet.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome Prelude2aDream. Glad to have you here.

To answer your questions:

Locks: When you say that your locks don't work, do you mean that the car can't be locked, or that the unlock mechanism on the inside won't lock the doors. Clarify and we'll help.

Stereo: Is the stereo an aftermarket unit? Does it turn on? If your stereo doesn't turn on, then you need to start troubleshooting the power source of the stereo. Stereos will turn on if they have nothing but power, so this is a good place to start. If you the stereo does turn on, but you don't hear anything, check to make sure that your speakers are all appropriately connected. Check the fuses to the left of the steering wheel as well.

Brakes: What do you mean by 'need tuning'? Are the brakes not working? Do they vibrate when you brake? Is your e-brake not working? Check to make sure that your car does indeed have brake fluid. Please provide more details and we'd be happy to help you.

Shift Cables: I'm assuming that your car is a manual transmission equipped model. Or, is it an auto? Since your Prelude is a 1987 (second generation) it doesn't have shift cables. 2nd gen preludes are bar shifted, and the shift linkage is very strong. If you're having trouble shifting, or having trouble getting the car into gear, the problem is likely with the transmission. Is this what you're experiencing? Please, more details.

Battery: Why are you concerned about the battery? Does your car have trouble starting? Does the battery not hold a charge (ie you have to jump start your car all the time)? Does your battery light come on? If your battery light is coming on, the problem is with your alternator. If the battery won't hold a charge, either you've got an electrical short, or the battery is defective. Canadian Tire offers free battery testing. Take your battery there and have them test it out. If the battery itself is bad, you'll have to get a new one.

yunwawa
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by yunwawa »

I'd also say to check the basics and take a while to learn your car. It's alot easier to get help if you can explain it better. As far as the brakes go I would say the brake lines to the master cylinder is a nice cheap way to start. If all else fails at least you have a solid step in the right direction. It's not uncommon for those lines to get "worn" after two decades... Also for the altenator it could also be the disc inside the altenator which is cheaper still, but it's wise to replace the whole thing (remember get new spark plugs and connectors). The stereo I hate to say it but might be do to age of the vehicle as well. If your not the only owner I would bet money that someone else has played below the dash a bit.. Go to a friend's house that has an air tank and blow out the fuse box and behind the dash. (It's happened to a buddy of mine before)