Watched Video: removal of the timing belt..now ??

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

robert n
Prelude Enthusiast

Watched Video: removal of the timing belt..now ??

Post by robert n »

I have a '95 prelude and am going to attempt to replace the timing belt soon. BTW, The video(s) posted here are very informative and this is my only reference to this procedure.

I am concerned about getting the crank pulley off in order to remove the timing belt. My question: The video says to loosen the belt tensioner and remove the main pulley. Instead of removing the main pulley....can I just remove 1 or both of the cam gears to give the belt the slack it needs for the timing belt to be removed? Since I plan on replacing the cam seals anyway...I figured that avoiding the removal of the crank pulley, it would save me a step in the process and the "challenge" of removing the 19mm bolt off the crank pulley.

Looking forward to any response.

thanks,
Robert

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Watched Video: removal of the timing belt..now ??

Post by spiffyguido »

You'll have to check your car to see how the timing belt cover is bolted on, but on the 3rd generation Prelude on which the videos are based the main pulley must be removed in order to get the over off. Without taking off the cover it would be impossible to remove the belt.

Also, another tip: If you're planning on replacing the cam seals, their insertion can be greatly simplified by loosening the bolts on the two cam cap journals where the seals sit. If you use this method, just be certain that you retighten them carefully to the correct torque spec. Too loose or too tight would be bad for the cam and you risk stretching or snapping the bolts if they are overtightened.

robert n
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by robert n »

spiffyguido wrote:
Also, another tip: If you're planning on replacing the cam seals, their insertion can be greatly simplified by loosening the bolts on the two cam cap journals where the seals sit. If you use this method, just be certain that you retighten them carefully to the correct torque spec. Too loose or too tight would be bad for the cam and you risk stretching or snapping the bolts if they are overtightened.
thanks for the response and explanation on the pulley and belt. I thought the lower timing belt cover was removed before the crank pulley (I'm wrong). I re-watched the video 4 and 5....Yes, the pulley needs to be removed first.

Clarifying/confirming your tip regarding the tip on Inserting the cam seals....loosen the bolts on the 2 cam cap journals, then carefully, using a small flat tip screw driver to remove the seals. It is still OK to use a 32mm socket to tap the seals back in, and be sure to torque the bolts back to the correct torque spec.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes still use the socket to tap them in. The cam seals fit tightly in their slot, so loosening the cam cap will just make it much easier to press them into place. You'll know what I mean once you have the valve cover off. On the 3rd gen, each cam cap is bolted down by two bolts, and I imagine it is much the same on the 4th gen. Torque spec will be in the service manual.