92...lurching

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

chopperfan
Prelude Enthusiast

92...lurching

Post by chopperfan »

i have 92 si, lurches and sputters a fair bit when driving, the RPM doesnt change tho.added injector cleaner, no change ... changed plugs..old ones were almost burnt off but had good colour, didnt help...disconnected cat...no change..... could it be plug wires? they looked ok..no cracking etc.... could anyone offer suggestions??? thnx

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: 92...lurching

Post by RedRacer »

How long has it been since the wires were changed? What about distributor cap and rotor inside? If you don't know when, then I'd definitely start there. If you can afford it, I highly recommend that you use Honda plugs and wires ONLY. Including the distributor cap and rotor. Probably run a little over $100 for all the pieces, but it pays off in the long run. If you can't do Honda parts, get the best you can from an auto parts store and replace everything. Don't forget the coil wire as well.

After plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, I would move to this being related to the EGR system - ports could be clogged and need cleaning.

To check to see if the EGR system is the culprit (or contributor) unplug the EGR solenoid (grey connector, see pic) and drive the car.
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Once the engine runs and warms up with the solenoid disconnected, the computer will sense something wrong with the EGR system and shut it down, closing the main EGR valve. At this point the Check Engine Light (CEL) will come on and you might find that the engine smooths out then. If that is the case, then you know where all or part of the problem lies.

Again, this is just an idea to try and weedle down what could be wrong.

IF this does make the engine run smoother, do NOT continue to just drive the car without the EGR hooked up because it's running better, as doing so will eventually mess up the engine, O2 sensors, etc.

Also, in some cases, with the EGR solenoid unplugged once the system is bypassed, the engine might stall at idle or run at a very low idle when stopped.

After checking this and if it does make the engine run better, plug the EGR sol back up and then take it to a GOOD Honda mechanic and have the EGR ports cleaned out.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Post by S-LudeDan »

complete tune up would do you good. Like Redracer said OEM plugs and wires, but you can also go with NGK since they work for Honda and make oem quality stuff. Get the NGK blue wires.

chopperfan
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by chopperfan »

thnx Dan and Red... i'll give it a try..and i'll also get oem or ngk parts, just got the car less than a year ago and dont know the history on exsisting parts so i'll change them anyways

chopperfan
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by chopperfan »

the cap and rotor were the issue...thnx for you time guys

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

You're most welcome! And thanks for coming back and letting us know the final disposition.

People coming back and posting what they did and if it worked, makes all the difference in the site being able to be a useful reference tool for future PDriver's with the same or similar problems!

Glad it's running right!

chopperfan
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by chopperfan »

my pleasure, i've never owned an import b4 but am loving this car, bought it as a commuter but i'm slowly changing it into a project car, have done some minor mods and add on's so far