New to the forums, I have a 90 Lude 2.05L B21A1

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

90Luder2.05
Lude Dude

New to the forums, I have a 90 Lude 2.05L B21A1

Post by 90Luder2.05 »

I recently replaced the motor, I bought this car from a kid that could not work on cars. He had already bought a car to replace it, so I offered to pay his tab at the garage in exchange for the title. He agreed and the tab was $60 yeah thats right 60 bucks. I found a motor online for $400 shipped and dropped it in. First I replaced the front main, rear main, and cam seals. Had the flywheel re surfaced and replaced the clutch, put in a new water pump and new timing belt. Car is running great however I am using oil. The car seems to be buring oil, it does not smoke at an idle, it only smokes under hard acceleration. I'm thinking its the valve guide seals however reading about the bore sleeves that tends to be hard on the rings maybe I have a ring problem, will engine restore help me out? I don't really want to pull this motor again but if I have too I am going all the way. Can anyone post that knows about adding a turbo kit the B21A1, do they make one and is it possible?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Firstly, welcome to PreludeDriver.com, 90Luder. We're very happy that you decided to pay us a visit.

Your smoke issue is likely caused by bad rings. As you correctly pointed out, the material used to make the B21 sleeves is very hard on piston rings. If you decide to put new rings in the car, be sure to use Honda rings, not aftermarket ones as these are known to last far longer.

You can turbo the B21A1, as you can any motor. I've read of many people who have successfully done this, and many of them have achieved very good results. If you're looking to make really big power, you'll likely need to reduce the compression ratio of the engine somewhat as the compression ratio of the B21A1 is slightly higher than the other engines found in 3rd gens.

I don't know of any turbo kits that are currently available for the 3rd generation prelude. No matter though, it won't be too hard for you to put together your own. People are marking turbo exhaust headers for 3rd gens and acquiring a turbo unit is not hard. Ebay is actually a great source for these things.

Hit us back with more specific questions.

90Luder2.05
Lude Dude

Post by 90Luder2.05 »

I didn't really want to start a new thread so I thought I would ask my question in this thread.

I was trying to look up something on interior lighting, my dash lights went out a while back I have checked fuses they are all okay. I'm wondering if it is the dimmer switch for the dash lights, seems logical because other lights in the car work like the glove box light and ash try light. However my overhead light doesn't work. Other lights in the dash work like brake light, cruise control, blinkers and such. Are there any problems with a certain relay or switch that anyone knows about that might be my problem?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The dimmer switch is likely a good guess; I would start your investigation there.

As for your overhead light, the problem is likely with the switch in your door that tells it when the door is open. The switch is located on the body of the car where the door closes, right below the latch, I think. They frequently stop working. Usually you can wiggle them and they'll start to make contact and turn the interior light on. Other than getting a new door switch, you may be able to take apart and clean the existing one to get it working well again.