knocking

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

knocking

Post by Red2010_2008 »

Gettn ready to buy a 5th gen lude and the guy says he has been driving it around for 3 yrs, has a little bit of a knock he says, its a pretty quiet knock, can only really hear it when inside the car. He said hes drivin it and never had a problem, mensioned the check engine light being on, said it reads the knock sensor......will that get rid of the knock? What could it be?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: knocking

Post by spiffyguido »

If the ECU is reporting that the knock sensor isn't working, then it should be replaced. The knock sensor feeds back info to the ECU, so if it is malfunctioning, the fuel metering and ignition timing features of the ECU could be working incorrectly.

hueyp76
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 2000 base

Re: knocking

Post by hueyp76 »

funny story about a knocking i heard on my 00 base lude. one day i was driving home and had this horrible knock, sounded like the bottom half of the engine was coming apart. so i took my car apart put new rings, bearings, timing belt and all kinds of things. Started the car and still had the knock, come to find out my flywheel was loose. so before you tear the engine down make sure it is not something simple like the knock sensor or something just being loose. the knock sensor is a pain in the butt to change but not impossible.