sunroof not working

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

sui8o8
Prelude Enthusiast

sunroof not working

Post by sui8o8 »

hi,i have recently bought 1998 honda prelude.find out sunroof and front fog lights doesnt work.light turns on in the switch,when pressed, while headlights are on but no light from the fog lights.and nothing happens when press the sunroof switch.dont know if its jam or the motor is gone or some other electrical problem.if it happend to anyone else here or if some got the answer please let me know.thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: sunroof not working

Post by spiffyguido »

I'd start by checking fuses. The sunroof fuse may just have burned out.

When you push the sunroof switch do you hear any sound from the motor at all?

sui8o8
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by sui8o8 »

thanks for the reply.will check them first thing in the morning.hear nothing from the motor when press the swich.probably the fuses for both of them.dont have the manual,does anyone know where i can download one from.thanks

sui8o8
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by sui8o8 »

hi,have checked the fuses.they are fine.everythime i press the sunroof switch hear a click from the dashboard.probably the relay in fuse box.this means electrical is fine.so what else can cause that.also inside the the foglamps switch, light turns when i press it.that means electrical is fine in that one aswel.any help from you guys.this is my first honda ever.always had toyota before.so dont know much about its faults and ways of fixing it.thanks

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

If the electrical for the sunroof is fine, then the problem must be mechanical in nature. I suggest that you try opening the sunroof using the manual crank. This will be detailed in your owners manual. There should be a plug on the roof of the interior covering a cogged socket that can be turned to open the sunroof using the crank (which should be in the trunk). Check your car's manual. I believe all Preludes are equipped with this manual override system. This will allow you to open the sunroof and poke around to see if you can identify what the trouble is.

sui8o8
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by sui8o8 »

thanks mate for the reply.luckly enough the sunroof now working as when checked carefully its fuse was missing.but couldnt find any fuse for foglights in both the boxes.checked them again and again but nothing.the lights turns on in its switch,when i press it while headlights are on,but no current going to foglights.i checked it with tester light.any thoughts about that.thanks

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The problem with your fog lights has got to be electrical in nature. Assuming the bulbs are good, I'd start looking for breaks in the wire. Fog lights are usually placed in a vulnerable location, and can get impacted by rocks from the road, etc. Are these the OEM fog lights integrated into the bumper?