Question on Price

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

H22A4
Lude Dude

Question on Price

Post by H22A4 »

Hey, I was wondering if a 92 Si for 3 grand is a decent price. It's got a small patch of rust above the left wheel well, the front bumper is a little damaged (fits perfect), no dents/scratches, small clear coat fading, and has a slight exhaust leak. It's all stock besides the air intake. 160k miles, new tires, and 8/10 interior.

Let me know if I should put 3k down for it. I really want it and there are hardly any preludes around my area anymore. :(

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Question on Price

Post by RedRacer »

If it's being sold by an individual, that's a little bit high in my opinion, maybe ok if it is in excellent condition in and out.... but with rust, clear coat fading, exhaust leak, some bumper damage and the mileage... I'd hit them with $2,200 cash and see what they say.

If it's retail, that's about right, maybe a little under-priced actually. But I'd be real leery of buying a car this old for that much from a car lot, unless it's a Honda dealer who stands behind his used cars.

Have it checked out before you lay out the cash though. One word: CARFAX. Best 30 dollars you'll ever spend.

If you can't get the CarFax done, then get it on a rack and get under it and look for major damage, rust, busted CV boots, tie-rod boots, rusted exhaust, fluid leaks, brakes, etc. Get a compression test done if you can. A little money spent now will be worth it if something is bad wrong.

What part of the world are you in? If you live in a cold climate or near the ocean, be extremely thorough on the rust check. Look everywhere. Inside the door panels, trunk lid, hood, fenders, remove the carpet and liner in the truck and pull the spare and look in the tire-well back there, etc. You don't want rust, even a little bit.

Just remember, you can always start low and go high if you have to. Better to start with the lowest reasonable price and see if they take. After all, they want to sell their product and you want to buy it, so it's you who has the control. If they're not willing to accept your best offer, then they're not really interested in selling.

H22A4
Lude Dude

Post by H22A4 »

Ok, thanks for the information. I'll get it lifted and look under it. It's from my friend who doesn't really want to sell it but he said if he gets 3k outta it then he'll sell it. He wants 3k so he can get another car he's been looking at.

I probably won't deal with it.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

If you know the person, that makes things a little bit different. Assuming that he wouldn't knowingly sell you a car with problems and you trust him and you know the car, then go a little higher maybe.

Just don't let a car deal cause problems between you and someone you know.

I tend to steer clear of buying big ticket items from people I know. Just because.

H22A4
Lude Dude

Post by H22A4 »

RedRacer wrote:If you know the person, that makes things a little bit different. Assuming that he wouldn't knowingly sell you a car with problems and you trust him and you know the car, then go a little higher maybe.

Just don't let a car deal cause problems between you and someone you know.

I tend to steer clear of buying big ticket items from people I know. Just because.
Yeah, that's understandable. I may consider it. I'm looking at this http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1626794858.html

I believe that the 95 is a special edition with tan interior. I'm waiting on an email back so I can take a look and get on them quick! Hella excited lol

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Huh. Two for the price of one. Not too bad.

Yeah, the tan interior was only available in the 1995 fourth generation SE model. Green or gold paint with a tan leather interior and SE "sawblade" rims. I almost bought a gold SE instead of my red car. I'm so glad that I bought Red. He's been a GREAT car!

I have questions about the SE model in that ad. Why so little for a JDM block with such low mileage? Does it run? I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything, just that JDM motors are so coveted and to have one with low miles for so cheap make me want to ask questions.

Would like to know what you find out in your email reply.

Are you in KC? Whereabouts? KS or MO?