Removal of rear disc brake caliper bracket 85

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

rollscanardly51
Prelude Enthusiast

Removal of rear disc brake caliper bracket 85

Post by rollscanardly51 »

Anyone know how to remove the rear disc brake caliper braket for a 1985 prelude. It blocks the removal of the disc any thereby access to the bearings. The lower bolt is blocked by the rear wheel arm support. :?:

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Removal of rear disc brake caliper bracket 85

Post by spiffyguido »

If you can't get an open ended wrench in there, you may have to remove the rear arm to take it off. Have you been trying with a wrench or with a ratchet/socket?

rollscanardly51
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rollscanardly51 »

I can get an open wrench on it but it will round off the bolt head. I got a flare nut wrench on it but it expanded under the pressure of turning it and rolled on the bolt. It looks complicated to take off the support arm. I have tried "Kroil" penetrating oil and heating the bolt.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

You've already removed the caliper, correct?

From the diagrams I can see, it looks like there is enough room to get a wrench on the bolt as you stated once the caliper is off. Be sure that you are using the correctly sized (metric) wrench. If the bolt is seized, applying heat to it will be the best option. You mentioned you had already applied heat to the bolt. What did you use for heat? Propane?

The rear arm shouldn't be too hard to take off. Usually you just have to unbolt the stabilizer arm, the strut fork, and then remove the arm from the lower end of the hub.