HELP PLEASE!! 95 prelude oil leak from oil cooler?

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Lil_Red_RidinLude
Prelude Enthusiast

HELP PLEASE!! 95 prelude oil leak from oil cooler?

Post by Lil_Red_RidinLude »

HI im Miranda, im new here! Mine has been leaking oil for the past past month but i was good about keeping oil in it and of course putting off a trip to the garage...... then SUDDENLY last wednesday i was driving and oil light STAYED on instead of flashing, pulled into gas station to check it out, put a quart in it then cranked it up, backed up and noticed that ALL the oil was on the ground and apparently had blow out from somewhere, checked the stick and it was dry so I stayed parked and cut it off and had to tow it home. Found out the leak was coming from the oil cooler and has been removed, the guy that removed it said the part was warped and was leaking from both sides and i need a new part, the part DOES NOT look warped to me and others however the O ring is broken. Ive had 2 opinions say its just the o ring......PLEEAASSEEE HELP!!

Question: Has ANYONE ever had to replace the whole oil cooler or just the "O" ring, how common is this problem and is it possible for the actual part to "warp"?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: HELP PLEASE!! 95 prelude oil leak from oil cooler?

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Miranda.

Thanks for visiting.

I suppose the oil cooler could warp, although I'd try replacing the o-rings first anyway since that will be cheaper and may solve the problem. I've never had trouble with my oil cooler, so I don't have any experience with this. There is a member here called RedRacer that really knows a lot about 4th generation Preludes. He will likely have thoughts.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: HELP PLEASE!! 95 prelude oil leak from oil cooler?

Post by RedRacer »

Hi Miranda,

A girl! yay! LOL :wink:

Yes, leaking oil cooler o-rings are a very common problem with the 4th gens, but with Preludes in general. 90-97 models.

I can't imagine that it could warp unless it had some serious torque applied to it by some over zealous oil change person--- or if it somehow took a hit under the car, which would have to be one very specific and unique accident to have happen.

So I guess it could warp, but I doubt it.

It's about a 350 dollar part, so I'd definitely make sure it's bad. If this is just a mechanic that you don't really know, I would lean to the side of saying it's just a jerk trying to just screw you over for the part price and labor when all he'll do is just put in a new o-ring and keep the new cooler for himself.

It's most likely just that broken o-ring and not the actual cooler. As always the case when making repairs on a car, start small and work your way to big. If the smaller repair works, then you're safe.

And yes, I've replaced my o-ring for the same reason. Mine was leaking so bad it looked like I was holding a barbecue from under my car any time I stopped at a traffic light. Ridiculously embarrassing. :oops:

So that's my advice as well......... try the ring first.

And if the oil cooler really is warped, I want you to let us know and also, I would LOVE to see a picture of it!

Good luck~