Trouble with alternators please help

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

hondacal
Prelude Enthusiast

Trouble with alternators please help

Post by hondacal »

i have had a new(used) alternator sent to me by a breakers yard for my 1991 2.0i prelude. after the mamouth task of getting the old one off and the new one on. i was putting it all back together when i come to put the wires back on only to find that on the alternator i took of there is four wire conection points and on the new one i been sent only 3, on futher inspection and lots of internet searchs i have found out the one they have sent me is for a carburetor model and mine is an injection !!!!!!

is there any way the wires can be modified so as this alternator will work on my injection

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Trouble with alternators please help

Post by spiffyguido »

The fourth wire is the white one, right?

You should have: WHT/GRN, BLK/YEL and WHT/BLU.

The white wire is the line to the positive end of the battery after the 70A main fuse (number 19).

You can see all this on page 16-67 of the 1988 Service Manual in the manuals section.

I can't say for sure whether or not the alternator would work without the 4th wire in place. Your plug likely wouldn't fit regardless. Rather than mess up your wiring, can you just have your source send the correct alternator. They sent you the wrong part.

hondacal
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by hondacal »

the fourth wire is white/red, i wondered if it could be joined to one of the other wires to do the job as i have the connection plug to the new alternator, when i tryed to source a replacment it was very difficult so my worrie is there will not be one around, thanks for your help. this is my 1st prelude and i have totaly fell in love with them and want to kepp her going for as long as poss :-)

hondacal
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by hondacal »

well an update on the my prelude after almost a week of contacting the supplier of the alternator and them telling me all sorts, 1st was they gone to fetch it from a local supplier and it will be with me tomorrow (Tuesday) 2nd they are having it sent from a 3rd party supplier and it will be with me next day (Wednesday) 3rd call me about the drive shaft I ordered!!!! so by now I getting angry the part was ordered 28th august and wrong part sent now 10th September I told them have you got the part or are you just lying to me answer. Yes we got the part ! Then followed by if we can’t get the part we will call you at 4pm, very unhappy I told them I want to know before that as I can get it somewhere other. Reply. we will call you in ten min. they did with the reply sorry we cannot supply the part we will refund you(company foreign car spares Birmingham uk) so now I got the old one off my car(4 pin) and there replament(3pin) what next wait another week or ??? well I thought same internals let’s just swap them over hey and this don’t happen very often the job turned out to be easier than expected I striped them both down and was able to replace the 3 pin section with my four pin noticed this was where the bushes had worn so used the other bushes put it all back together back on the prelude and hey presto a new alternator and all for nothing expect time and phone call RESULT!!! now she back on the road took her out and I still love the way she drive, few more bits to repair but she running :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Awesome.

Glad you got her running!

Pictures!