Rings

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Rings

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Has anyone successfully completed a ring job on a b21a1? I am looking at doing this due to the amount of oil the Lude appears to be burning. Any documentation on this job or ideas would be great.

Thanks,
C
- Do What You Can With What You Have Where You Are - Theodore Roosevelt

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Rings

Post by spiffyguido »

I've never done it on my own car. The process should be as follows:

-Remove cylinder head.
-Drop oil pan
-Drop lower girdle
-Unbolt lower connecting rod bearing caps.
-Push pistons up through the top of the cylinder
-Replace rings.
-Reassemble.

Keep in mind that removing the cylinder head will require slipping the timing belt off so you'll have to be able to reset the timing when you put everything back together. You'll need some torque specs as well for the different nuts and bolts you'll encounter.

One thing you can do is read the 2nd generation shop manual in the manuals section. It actually has details on how to do more advanced engine work like this. The 3rd generation manual doesn't have such information. If you're sure you'd like to go this route, let us know and we'll work together to assemble some good directions.

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Spiffy, and all who have ideas....

I am one of like 3 people on planet earth that loves the b21a1, and is determined to make her new. She is burning oil and I am still determining if it will be a ring job or a complete rebuild. I hate like heck to open her at all because she runs perfect, but the oil smoke is very annoying. Any detailed ideas on both of these would be a big help. I am either going to find a salvage engine and build it on the stand while the other continues to burn oil and be a driver. OR I will pull the 21 out in the fall and work her over in the winter. Anyway, I hear that getting the cooling system straight after draining is a pain. Any insights to any of this would be great. I am not afraid of pulling the engine, and putting her back in. I just know that I am limited when it comes to the detailed work inside the engine, so I assume I will be having some of the work done by a machine shop. If any of you have rebuilt a b21a1 I would love to talk to you. Sorry to ramble....look forward to hearing from you.

CC

PS....all body work is done...she is getting primer and paint within the next 3 days....whoooohoooo. :lol:
- Do What You Can With What You Have Where You Are - Theodore Roosevelt

Crash_Control
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 base

Post by Crash_Control »

Maybe you could start with a dry and wet compression test to determine whether the oil problem is rings or valve seals.
You might be getting oil into the intake from the PCV system and that maybe whats being burnt off.
If from a dry compression test you have good numbers then you wouldn't even bother doing the wet test and your oil consumption is else were.