Exhaust..Bad decision!!

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

BestShapePrel920
Prelude Enthusiast

Exhaust..Bad decision!!

Post by BestShapePrel920 »

Here's my story. I have a P reg 4th gen Prelude 2.2 and the exhaust was mint, apart from the middle section where the box was rotten.
Amazingly, no aftermarket suppliers could help because their exhaust didn't quite fit right, so it was to the main dealer for a wallet-raping. However, this was not to be as they said this was no longer available off the shelf and it had to be manufactured, so they gave me a 8-10 week wait, HA, yeah(!) when my MOT was in 3weeks!!
So, I made the desperate move to Blueflame Exhausts in Lancs where the sold me a Cat-back stainless. This wasnt as nice as the raspey standard noise you would normally get, it produced the boy-racer rumble a bit, but it wasnt blowing at least.

I then complicated matters by being an idiot and buying a stainless steel manifold and downpipes "set" off ebay. Hey, the feedbacks were exellent, so how was I to know that they were going to ship a virtual tin foil set of downpipes to me!! The manifold is fine but as implied, the downpipes are a joke. They're causing "a confliction in the emissions" as quoted by the Blueflame expert as I returned the car there trying to blame the Cat-back system! They're DEFINITELY havent been made under the same roof as the manifold, the material is thin, crappy, tinny.

So people, I need quick advice, do I get a custom stainless piece made to replace the downpipes? Or, do I simply go back to standard manifold and downpipes? I use the word 'simply' loosely as I've had no luck at any scrapyards at all, and buying brand new just aint an option for those who realise just how expensive that'd be!

Help please, especially if anyone is breaking a UK 2.2 4th Gen.........

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Exhaust..Bad decision!!

Post by RedRacer »

Man. That sucks. Ya know, that's the thing about Ebay.......you read feedback, but you never really know how intelligent the person giving the feedback is, OR what their basis for feedback entails. Like, what are they basing their feedback on, just because they heard from someone else and have yet to try it themselves? Or are they 15 years old and have no idea what they're talking about other than "It looks bitchin and sounds dope-ass cool!"

Sorry you got "took"......

Hard call, man. Personally I would go for the stock stuff, IF you can find it in good shape with no cracks, rust, etc. Going to be hard to do that though and probably take some time too.

You may just have to suck it up, save the cash and have someone in a reputable speed/exhaust shop make what you need.

You're in the UK? I am quite certain that your downpipes vs US downpipes are not going to be the same...... as I was going to offer getting them for you here and shipping it to you there..... but the best I could do is between 500 and 600 dollars US, and that doesn't include shipping. But they do have them in stock here, OEM Honda parts.

Not much help, sorry. But good luck however you land!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I agree. Stock parts, or find a quality shop to get you fixed up right. Either way will work, with the stock parts being the safest bet.

BestShapePrel920
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by BestShapePrel920 »

Cheers guys. Going to standard seems the best way then.

Derek R
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 SR

Post by Derek R »

Sorry to hear you got taken on E-bay,