interchangeable parts 88 from 89

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

icepick
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 89 si

interchangeable parts 88 from 89

Post by icepick »

spiffy i realize you already have a thread for this but i was wondering how different is an 88 to an 89 because i was just swapping the doors from the 88 to the 89 i have damage on the drivers side and i was bolting the door up and noticed the wires coming from the engine compartment lined up with the harness but as i looked closer they weren't interchangeable... i was wondering if anyone knows how many parts/ big components / small components drive line/ radiator /hoses/header/ could be swapped. i've also noticed a thread around here about changing the throttle body to like a "mustang throttle body" if i was able to fabricate the throttle body on my 89 would it give the 89 significant more "power" or would it be too much grief for what its worth.

on another note i was reading up on the chiltons book and i was reading about idle speed now as far as tune ups go what would be the benefit of changing the idle adjustment screw? and turning it up or down how bad would that be to the engine/ long hall? i mean i've got the 89 which has had a rebuilt engine in it with about 60,000 miles on it.

my other question was i have a problem with the flasher relay is that the fuse on the left side of the clutch pedal??? and which 1?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

icepick
Lude Dude

Re: interchangeable parts 88 from 89

Post by icepick »

also i was wondering i have 18" perelli's on concept 5 rims here's the problem its a 5 lug they bolt up to my cavalier but i was wondering how much hassle it would be to make em fit on the prelude.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Getting a bigger throttle body MAY help very slightly. I'd have to see some actual dyno plots to be convinced of this. Generally speaking, more diameter in the intake path is a good thing, but this can cause a slowing of the intake air speed, which is actually bad. Proper tests really have to be done when experimenting with such things. Unless you're very serious about naturally aspirated tuning, I'd leave your throttle body be.

I'm not too sure about many of the larger interchangeable parts. In general, my experience has been that things fit pretty well between Preludes of the same generation, no matter the year, with some obvious exceptions. I hear about possible part compatibilities all the time, but haven't performed any of them myself.

I would suggest tuning the idle to the speed suggested in the service manual. Idling speed is bad for any engine anyway, so I don't think you'll net a big benefit by changine it a few hundred rpm in either direction. A lower idle would be bad because it would further debalance the engine and things would shake harder. A higher idle would put more heat in the engine when it's not moving anywhere. Although I don't know the reason, I'm sure Honda had a reason for suggesting a partiular idle speed for each engine. I just go with what they say.

You can do a 5-lug conversion for the Prelude, but you'd have to find a hub and brake disc setup that allows this. I know it's been done, but I don't know of any notes on how to do it.

icepick
Lude Dude

Post by icepick »

more diameter in the intake path is a good thing, but this can cause a slowing of the intake air speed, which is actually bad. Proper tests really have to be done when experimenting with such things. Unless you're very serious about naturally aspirated tuning, I'd leave your throttle body be.

are you talking about the intake filter? i know it would be kind of ghetto but could u take a smaller fan that could fit inside your knn filter i wonder if that would do the trick.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Those fans that fit inside the intake pipes don't work at all. The engine will suck air far faster than the fan could ever dream of pushing it. Best is to have a good free flowing filter (cone filters from K&N are very good), a smooth intake pipe that allows for laminar flow and doesn't have too many bends right to the throttle body.

icepick
Lude Dude

Post by icepick »

i was just wondering thanks dude