Vacuum Lines high idle low idle high idle ''''

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

icepick
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 89 si

Vacuum Lines high idle low idle high idle ''''

Post by icepick »

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the High idle/low idle on a 89 prelude i already checked my fast idle valve off the throttle body and I don't believe that's the problem but is there a vacuum line that might be leaking somewhere? and which 1 should i be looking at closely i ask this because all of my vacuum lines are pretty much all dirty and i cant determine if 1's leaking. i believe the power steering is leaking all over the vacuum lines so it's hard to tell. im currently working on that situation but anyone that could help me out with the vacuum lines? it would be massively appreciated! Thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Vacuum Lines high idle low idle high idle ''''

Post by spiffyguido »

Don't discount the Fast Idle valve until you're sure it's working properly, but yes, vacuum lines could cause that problem. Getting the lines wet can sometimes make it easier to find the holes, if any. Best though is to get a vacuum tester and test each one individually. Sometimes the leaks are hard to find because they're on the underside.

Where is your power steering pump leaking? Is the reservoir overflowing? Is there power steering fluid on the underside of your hood? If so, I have a write-up on how to change the shaft seal on the power steering pump that might help you.

icepick
Lude Dude

Post by icepick »

Thanks spiffy actually its pretty weird but i was reading up on the chiltons manual and I was just stumped and couldn't figure out this problem thats been bugging me for awhile i never wanted to take it to a mechanic and have me pay them a few hundred to tell me that its something simple so I turned my air conditioner on and bam it worked lol. no more low / high idle.
I live in alaska and i really dont need air conditioning.... if i did i would just run the window down and thats great enough for me.

on the power steering issue: if i drive the prelude even a short mile or 2 by the time i get back to my house all the fluid i added before i left is almost gone. I'm not sure if my pump took a crap on me or if it's leaking out 1 of the lines. if it was leaking out of the lines i would see a small trail of droplets wouldn't I? i also just replaced my power steering belt and its a little loose so that could also become an issue. I believe it deflects like a 1/2 inch to an inch. any insight?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

First, start by finding the leak. If you're losing fluid that quickly, you should be able to find where it is coming from. If you can see that fluid has been sprayed all over the underside of your hood, then the shaft seal on the power steering pump is to blame. If the reservoir is bubbling over and emptying itself out, the shaft seal is also to blame. Otherwise it is probably a leaky hose. Have a poke around.

icepick
Lude Dude

Post by icepick »

problem fixed i needed the ac on... lol