Distributor Gears bent

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Distributor Gears bent

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Any ideas on this guys? I pulled the cap for the first time tonight and the cap is made in japan so i assume this may be the original. Also the rotor button is deformed on the gear side as the gears are actually bent. The car still runs fine with this condition, but I assume with the distributor in this shape it is probably the original, and may be contributing to poor acceleration in first gear....the button has chunks out of the contact. Thinking of replacing the distributor completely....what do you think? :evil:

CC

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Distributor Gears bent

Post by spiffyguido »

Wow. I'd like to see a picture of this. I wonder how the gearing on the distributor got bent.

At any rate, you best replace anything that looks too damaged. The cap is usually inexpensive, so at least make sure it is in good order.

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Ask and ye shall receive.....I would assume that since the shaft has some play in it that is why the button is chewed....I cant imagine that the plastic button is bending the metal distributor gear...maybe the plastic is made in Japan and the gear in Detroit????...who knows....soon it will all be new from the coil to the plugs.
DSC02332.jpg
DSC02334.jpg

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yikes. Clearly those gears didn't find their happy place. I agree that replacing them is the right thing to do. Use Honda parts if you can....they always play nicely together.