Power Steering pump leak

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Zack Prelude91
Lude Dude

Power Steering pump leak

Post by Zack Prelude91 »

hai guys,

im new here..its good to hear there is a forum for prelude lovers..anyway i have problems with my prelude 1991 4ws si. The steering pump is badly leaking and the pulley a bit dodgy..so if anyone can help me on this matter..i believe its very expensive if go to the dealer to get the new one..can i repair it?should i look for the steering pump kit?is the steering pump prelude si 2ws,alb and 4ws are the same?i`ll prefer the cheapest way to fixed it.

thanks in advance

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Power Steering pump leak

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Zack,

A leaking power steering pump is usually caused by the power steering pump's shaft seal being worn out. If this is the problem with yours, you would see a lot of leaking around the pulley and pulley shaft. This usually results in power steering fluid getting thrown on the underside of your hood as well.

I wrote a write-up a while ago on how to fix this:
http://www.harleyc.com/prelude/writeUps ... fault.html

If the shaft seal is your problem, that will help. If you think the leak is coming from elsewhere, let us know. For your info, a leaking shaft seal also usually causes the power steering reservoir to bubble and spill over making a mess there as well.

Yes, the power steering pumps should be the same between all the 3rd generation preludes.