Master or slave cylinder???

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Edge2lyfe
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 1998 5spd Base

Master or slave cylinder???

Post by Edge2lyfe »

My clutch pedal is really soft. I checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and it's way down but I can't find any leaks!

Where is the fluid going? I'll need to buy some fluid tomorrow but I'm sure it's not going to help.

Which one is more likely the cause of the problem?

Thanks guys.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Master or slave cylinder???

Post by spiffyguido »

Edge,

It could be either of them, although in my experience the slave cylinders usually wear out faster because they are exposed more to the elements. You can check for leaks at the master cylinder by looking up behind your dash where all the pedal levers and mechanisms are. Look at the connection point to the master cylinder and there should be a gasket there that protects the input shaft of the master cylinder. If there is any sign of fluid there, you have a leak for sure. They rarely leak very quickly, so you are going to have to look everywhere very carefully. Keep in mind that a leaky master or slave cylinder usually results in poor clutch performance, as in you'll get poor disengagement, etc. Is this happening as well? Is that what you meant by your 'soft clutch pedal'?

Edge2lyfe
Lude Dude

Post by Edge2lyfe »

Thanks Spiff,

I took a closer look inside and there is fluid leaking from the piston going thru the firewall. Ordered a new master yesterday. Parts should be here in a few days. Thanks for the help.

Edge2lyfe
Lude Dude

Post by Edge2lyfe »

Back in business. Installed the new master last Saturday. Clutch pedal feels great and has more resistance.