Wont get fuel to start. only on hot days

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jaynik
Prelude Enthusiast

Wont get fuel to start. only on hot days

Post by jaynik »

ITs just what the topic said, sometimes, mid-day usually, when it is hot, the car wont start. I take the fuel line off and there is no gas at all so no fuel is the reason for not starting.

If we keep trying or wait a while, it does finally start and after that, no problems, fuel comes fine.

It only happens when it has been sitting for a few hours.

Question is, what causes a car not to get fuel for a while and then sudenlly it does again. I'm stumped!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

If the fuel line/fuel rail is not getting any fuel I'm going to predict that you have a problem with your fuel pump. The fuel pump is electrical, so perhaps you're having an intermitten failing circuit that causes your fuel pump to only work some of the time.

Here's what I want you to do:

On a day when you expect your car not to work, go out to your car, open the door (leave it open) and put the key in the ignition. Turn your interior fan and AC to the off positions. Hold your head outside the driver's side of your vehicle as if you were looking at your gas-cap, then turn the ignition to 'on' position. Do not turn the key far enough to actually trigger the starter. With the key in the on position, the fuel pump should trigger to charge the fuel line. Listen to see if you can hear it whirr for a few seconds right after the key hits 'on'.

If you don't hear anything, try it again a few times. Then try at a time when the car would generally start fine, and see if you hear anything. Let us know what you find, and we'll be able to help you further. I have other ideas if you fuel pump isn't to blame.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

IF the main relay doesn't fire, then the pump primer, etc. won't act in sequence = no fuel.

Check that main relay and I bet you find your problems solved.

garygadget
Lude Dude

Post by garygadget »

I had the same problem when the interior was hot /hot day common problem on the ludes, when you turn the key you should hear this relay click its right up behind the steering wheel/dash a pig to get to its usually a dry joint on the relay (expands when hot and you lose the connection) i just took mine out re-soldered the joints problem gone

Veritas
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Veritas »

garygadget wrote:I had the same problem when the interior was hot /hot day common problem on the ludes, when you turn the key you should hear this relay click its right up behind the steering wheel/dash a pig to get to its usually a dry joint on the relay (expands when hot and you lose the connection) i just took mine out re-soldered the joints problem gone
yep. exactly what this guy said.

btrfli321
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by btrfli321 »

definitely the relay. I had that replaced on mine last summer. Now she cranks every time! :D