NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTOR Muffler ISSUES

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

black91
Prelude Enthusiast

NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTOR Muffler ISSUES

Post by black91 »

I just recently had the Catalytic Convertor and muffler replaced in my 91 2.1 prelude. The cat was clogged and old exhaust was starting to rust. I kept it stock and did not try to put a bunch of aftermarket parts on. After replacing it, in noticed a heathy increase in horsepower. A day or two later after about 5-10 minutes of warming up, I started getting odd power drains. The only way I can describe it is as though the fuel pump is not working correctly or a sensor has malfunctioned. It feels electronic in nature. It usually happens during acceleration. I hit the throttle and suddenly lose power. When I totally let up off the throttle, it goes briefly back to normal. There are no codes coming up as I have tried a codereader and nothing is lighting up on the dashboard. I believe it must be related to either a sensor or the fuel pump. (or engine timing) The car starts just fine, and I have tried a compression test and the motor has excellent compression. The car has run perfectly up until now. If this is some sensor I can easily fix, I have no desire to take it to a mechanic to pay to have it done.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTOR Muffler ISSUES

Post by spiffyguido »

When you try to rev the engine, does it go up to a certain RPM and then just fall flat on its face? If so, you might be having trouble with your TPS (throttle position sensor) sensor. It could be fuel pump related, however if that was the case I think you would notice the effect constantly, and not intermittently. I agree that it sounds like an electrical problem.