1990 si Distibutor Replacement Info

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

1990 si Distibutor Replacement Info

Post by 1990whitepreluded »

Hey guys this is my first stab at contributing here, and if you grab the service manual from the manual tab above you can figure this out on your own. However I thought what the heck...take a few pics and post what I found while replacing my distributor. This will be between a $200 and $300 job if you have to do it. Most parts inside my distro are very pitted and and in need of replacement so here we go. This is all assuming that you have already removed the wires and distro cap from the distributor.

First I removed the radio noise ground...which is the small black wire running from the vicinity of your coil....it screws in in the hole in the center of picture.
DSC02343.jpg
Next I removed the 4 pin and 6 pin connectors below...when disconnecting the connectors(male/female) you will just push up on the snap clip shown below.
DSC02342.JPG
Next I removed the 4 pin and 6 pin connectors from the pole the clip onto that is screwed to the distro.
DSC02338.JPG
From there on it is just as simple as removing the adjusting bolts that hold the distro in place....The one nice thing that I discovered when pulling the distro is that the the two lugs on the end of the distributor shaft and its mating grooves in the camshaft are offset so as not to accidentally set your timing off by 180 degrees...tried to add picture but 3 is the max....who made that rule. :D

Anyway this is the removal only....the steps to replace it are in reverse, and of course you will have to reset the timing.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 1990 si Distibutor Replacement Info

Post by spiffyguido »

WOW! A big thank you to 1990whitepreluded for posting this great write-up. This is exactly the type of informative participation that makes this board so great.

I've added it to the Sticky 3rd generation writeups thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=555&start=0

Superb work. And if you have more pictures to add, just add another post within this topic.

synthoova
Site Admin

Post by synthoova »

I've increased the attachment limit per post to 6. Should help with posts like this.

Thanks for your great article. I enjoyed it.

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

Guys just to add to this a bit....I normally use honda parts where I can, but saved a great deal of money on a reman distro. That being said all the hesitation is gone....she is running like new with distro, cap, button, and plugs(NGK Platinum). Wires are not original so I left them for the time being. I haven't put a light on it yet, but it appears that most problems associated with the hesitation were fire related. All in all a $218.00 fix. Thanks again for all your help on this thing. I am going to take her into honda to fix oil leaks then steam her...then its off to the body shop....I will post another thread with pics in her bad condition before she goes for a new coat. Trying like hell to find a 1991 all metal (no paint) rim for her....I have 3 in good shape need a third if yall know anyone.

CC

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad to hear everything is working well after the distro swap.

What type of rim is it that you're looking for?

1990whitepreluded
Lude Dude

here it is...i find them all over the net for $150 plus....just looking to get out cheaper.
14.jpg
14.jpg (6.07 KiB) Viewed 7056 times

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Those are good rims. My car came with a set of them. Lovingly referred to among Prelude enthusiasts as the 'sawblade' rims.