4S blink blink

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ArifLude 91
Prelude Enthusiast

4S blink blink

Post by ArifLude 91 »

hai, first of all..im new to this forum..i just bought Prelude 1991 2.0 si 4WS..In the morning,i having problem to start up my engine at the first ignition like there is no fire but its turn up easily at the second try..and the other thing is the 4S light at the dash is appear and keep blinking until i turn off my engine..i wonder what is all about?my prelude is auto transmission..please help me on this matter.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 4S blink blink

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Arif,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Let's start with your 4s light. The 4s light blinks when your car has detected an abnormality with your automatic transmission. Your Automatic Transmission control unit will report the problem by sending a certain number of blinks to the LED mouted on the control unit. If you lift the carpet flap in the passenger footwell you will see your ECU and the (smaller) A/T control unit. The procedure for counting the blinks is detailed very well on page 9-12 of the 88 Service manual in the 'manuals' section that can be found at the top of this screen. On page 9-14, you'll find a description of what each code means.

Let us know what you discover.

ArifLude 91
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by ArifLude 91 »

hai spiffyguido,

Sorry for taking a long time to check out my engine light.anyway i got code 17 which is Vehicle Speed Sensor which caused my speedo meter is not working..and i have no idea where to start to fixed this problem.Hope u can guide me to solve this matter.

Thanks

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Arif,

Speed Sensor, eh? The speed sensor is contained in a small metal box that sits on top of your transmission housing. It usually has (at least on Manual transmission cars, and likely automatics as well) a few small wires that come out of it that hook into a wiring harness that leads to the cabin of the car. Can you see these wires and check if they are attached? It might just be that the speed sensor has come undone. Have a check, and then let us know.

california3rdgen
Lude Dude

Post by california3rdgen »

just a quick note on the VSS speed sensor, since this seems to be an issue for a lot of folks. On my 89 the VSS seems to be attached to the bottom left corner of the instrument cluster. That is also where it is shown on p. 16-80 of the service manual. At least on mine, there is a traditional speedo cable that attaches into the top of the transmission (way down under all those hoses) and it goes through the firewall, into the VSS on the side of the instrument cluster. The VSS converts the analog signal to an electronic one (16 pulses per cable revolution). I believe (but could be wrong) that the VSS was changed to be positioned right on top of the transmission in later years (90 and above?? next gen Prelude? - I'm not sure...)