Vent Help

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

Vent Help

Post by Red2010_2008 »

hey guys, wanted to pull out my vents that are on the dash and cant figure how to pull them out....can someone help me plz!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Vent Help

Post by spiffyguido »

Which vents, exactly?

Some vents are just spring-clipped in place. Others are screwed on.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Since there are only two vents on the actual dash in the 4th gen, above the radio and HVAC controls console (the other vents are actually in the door panels) then that is what I am posting in imagery to help you.

First you have to remove the center console. (click pics to enlarge)
Image1.jpg
Then you can go about removing the trim work and the vents. (second pic)
Image3.jpg
Look closely at the diagrams because there are screws all over the place to get those vents out.

Also, before you go ripping out the center console, if you have a manual transmission you have to remove the boot from the shift knob first. Once the boot is disconnected from the two connectors on the bottom of the shift knob, you then have to unscrew the shifter knob from the shift rod. If you don't do this first, the console and boot won't lift over and off when you try to take the console off completely. Just look at the picture of the center console removal diagram and you will see how the knob is attached to the rod. Pull the boot straight down from the bottom of the knob. Be careful so that when it does snap loose your fist doesn't slam down into the boot and pull it loose from under the bottom side of the trim ring inside the console.

If yours is a 1994 -1996, be aware of the e-brake. I find it easy to pull the brake handle up as far as it will go in order to get the console over and off. These diagrams are from the 1993 year manual, and the e-brake was back in the middle of the console for 1991-1993. Honda moved it next to the driver's seat in 1994 and later.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

Post by Red2010_2008 »

i know how to get the console off i jus didnt kno how to remove the vents, i dont have to pull the cd player out to get them vents out do i? i know where the 2 screws are on the bottom above the cd player is but i and only pull the vents out 1/4 of the way then it has lil medal clip things i thnk, cant rember............

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

I've never actually pulled the vents myself. Just the console and center piece in order to pull the head unit and CD player. I think that you may have to remove the head unit (do you still have the Honda factory radio or aftermarket?) in order to get to the screws that hold the vents in place. I'm not positive about that though because, like I said, I've never actually gone through the steps to remove the vents.

From the diagram I think you've got the two screws on the lower front that are in at an angle and a third screw in the back middle, that, from the looks of it, you'd have to pull the head unit or radio or cd, whatever you have in there, to get to that third screw, and then all you'd have are the three clips on the top after that.

Just look around and see, and don't try and force anything or that plastic will snap real fast. Sorry I can't help specifically beyond this point, but like I said, I've never pulled the vents.

What are you doing that you are removing the vents? Changing up something on the dash panel?

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

Post by Red2010_2008 »

ok so i pulled the vents out today and put everything back in, after i had turned my air on and went to move the slider to the heater all that was coming out was cool air......the heat was working the night before.....wat happend? everything is plugged in the right spot. Wat do I Do?

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Sounds like maybe you got the air mix control cable on the back of the heater unit fowled up somehow, or you didn't plug the AC/heater control panel connector(s) back up all the way. I'm kind of leaning toward the air mix cable and/or the temperature control arm that moves the air mix cable when you slide the cold/warm air slide on the control panel. If it was working fine before you disassembled everything, then it has to be because of something you undid or loosened in the disassembly. All I can suggest is that you go back through everything piece by piece and make sure you have everything hooked up and that you didn't accidentally knock something loose or out of place.

In the header of the website there is a link for Manuals. Go there and download the 4th gen shop manual. Go through it in the heater / air conditioning section and look at the diagrams and troubleshooting areas. You might easily find the solution to the problem walking through those sections.
Air Mix Cable and Heater Connectors
Air Mix Cable and Heater Connectors
Air Mix Cable and Temp Slide Control Mechanisms
Air Mix Cable and Temp Slide Control Mechanisms

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

Post by Red2010_2008 »

i forgot to put the braket and the screw back in, would that solve my problem? i plugged everything back in right, and didnt unhook anything as far as i know.....would putting that braket and screw back in make it work again? i know when i put the vents and everything back in, the heater/ac slider would get stuck in the middle and click when i pushed it to the a/c side....it doesnt do it now. but yea can u keep helpn me plz.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Always put everything back the way it was. Just a good rule to follow. Every bracket, holder, screw, nut and bolt are engineered into the design of the vehicle for a reason.

I don't know what might have caused your heat to stop working. But I want to lean towards the air mix cable and the heater temp slide.

The bracket and the screw do hold things in alignment and that could be just enough to make the cable or slide not work like they should.

Wouldn't hurt to spray some WD-40 in and around the cable linkage and the therm slide...... not a lot, just a mist.

Look closely at everything under the dash when you have it all back in place too, make sure the cable isn't getting caught on anything or being crimped or pinched or pushed into a bend.

That's about all I can tell you on this one.

Hope you get it right, it's getting cold out there!

And you never said why you wanted the vents out ... what did you need to pull them for?

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

Post by Red2010_2008 »

Lol To Paint Them or do sumthing with them....dont like the stock look lol.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

So did you get the heat working right again or not? Ya gotta follow up and let us know so that everybody can benefit on what worked and what didn't. Let us know. :wink:

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

Post by Red2010_2008 »

Yea I Got the heat to work again, my dad messed with it haha, idk what he did lol. I plan on doing rhd conversion so im jus gunna leave it all alone haha.

Korriyn
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Korriyn »

I'm trying to replace my air con control unit this site is very helpful just plugged the new control unit in haven't put the rest back yet as i wanna make sure it all works first only the green a/c button comes on no air blowing did i do something wrong?