Ford, I'm impressed, definitely

Discussions not related to Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Ford, I'm impressed, definitely

Post by RedRacer »

I have a 2011 Ford Taurus SHO as my rental while the Prelude is in the shop.

I don't have to have a rental, but hey, it's my right to have vehicle replacement from her insurance company since my car is out of commission while being repaired, so why not, right?

We have a really GOOD rental office by the house here and they get some really excellent rental units. I've rented from them many time for various reasons and having that connection as a good and repeat customer, gets me perks for rentals.

Honda S2000, Honda Civic Si, Infiniti FX, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon XLS, Camaro, Mustang, Ford Edge, Ford Taurus, Impala LTZ, Charger, Chrysler 300 SRT8, last year they still had a Cadillac XLR. They have some really good cars, cars much better than just the average rental car.

Anyway, I saw this Ford on the lot a week or so ago, knew I was going to be able to get a rental car for this week and next, so I called the guy and told him I would like to get in it for my rental if he could swing it. He did and I'm in it.

The car really is impressive. 3.5 liter direct-injected twin-turbo V6 producing 365 hp at 5500 rpm and 350 lb·ft of torque at 3500 rpm, six-speed semi-automatic transmission with paddle shifters on the wheel or console-activated Manual mode. Big 20 inch wheels, big brakes.

It gets to 60 in about 5.5 secs. I did an "unofficial" quarter mile in it last night at right under 15 secs around 100 mph, give or take a mph. And this is all accomplished in a STOCK vehicle.

Aggressive suspension, nice lines, turns heads, comfortable interior, quiet, and the fit and finish are really impressive for a Ford. Last Ford I was in a few years ago was really a train wreck. Cheap, lots of plastic and noise, seams didn't meet, gaps in body panels......just not a car I would consider owning.

However, that has changed. If I were considering a full-size sleeper sedan, I definitely would think about this Ford. Probably wouldn't keep it for more than a year or two...... but definitely one I wouldn't have many qualms about adding to my stable.

If you get the chance to drive one, I highly recommend that you do. And D R I V E it...., as it was intended to be driven, you'll smile and laugh and say "This is a TAURUS?" just like I did.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Ford, I'm impressed, definitely

Post by spiffyguido »

Great rental car review, Red!

Some of the Ford lineup is looking pretty good lately. I was impressed when I saw the stats for the Taurus when they first released it. They don't look terrible either, and there's some hints of decent quality.

When I was in California in June, I ended up with a Fusion from the rental agency. For a value-priced sedan, it was pretty good. The drive was solid, engine decent and despite the fact I would never own one, I didn't end up despising it after a week of use. I didn't love it, but I did think it to be a decent car and would probably suggest it to a friend if it fit their needs and price range.