Compression Limits of Pump Gasoline

Turbocharging, Supercharging, Intercooling, etc.

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Compression Limits of Pump Gasoline

Post by spiffyguido »

I'm putting together a forced induction system. I'm trying to calculate how much boost I can run and what compression ratio I need to start out with. I will be making use of an intercooler.

My question is, is there a chart that anyone knows of that shows the compression and heat tolerances of pump gasolines? I need a baseline figure to do some calculations from to see how hard I can push things without having to over-retard my ignition.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

garygadget
Lude Dude

Post by garygadget »

What are you doing turbo or supercharger a few people i know have turbocharged a 2.2 4th on standard internals you can run low boost with no problems and very little or no ignition changes i will have to find out what boost they use but any higher and the internals will have to be uprated
Guilty by reason of insanity

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Thanks, Gadget.

Mostly I was curious what type of boost I could safely run on pump gas. I'm in the process of rebuilding an engine right now for boost, and the internals are getting upgraded. I want to be able to have it be a daily driver on pump gas (91 octane).

garygadget
Lude Dude

Post by garygadget »

Just checked and people run about 6-8 psi on standard internals over here but have put in a p28ecu, bigger injectors,uprated fuel pump
but we have as standard 95 octane and most garages also sell 97 octane but with a good quality octane booster 100 might be acheived
Guilty by reason of insanity

Prelude4Lyfe
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Prelude4Lyfe »

6-8 PSI on stock internals. If you own a thrid gen you can push 220 WHP on stock internals.

Get a tune. Or you blow that crap up

Jared

CADster
Lude Dude

Post by CADster »

i dont think you have a set 'limit' you can go by.

too many variables.

rmotive
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: Compression Limits of Pump Gasoline

Post by rmotive »

To be safer, get water/methanol injection. You can run the same amount of boost, but more safely since you will have less engine heat and knock/ping.

Turbo is definitely the way to go, the only problem is ensuring it's reliable. Make sure to get tuned, as it's hard to say how much boost is safe for your car since it depends on so many factors... the dyno will tell you.