transmission problem

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

isaiahpena
Lude Dude

transmission problem

Post by isaiahpena »

My 3rd gear has been making a little grinding noise when i put it in to gear unluss i put ut in to gear really slow and just thevogher day i hit traffic so i was down shifting and i could not put it into 3rd gear no matter how hard i tried i even tried i even from from taking off from 1st gear once it got to 3rd it wouldnt go in gear i need help please and thank you in advance. Oh and another thing it did happen to pop into 3rd gear it was in gear for about 3 seconds and it popped out on its own please help me find the issue to my problem.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: transmission problem

Post by spiffyguido »

It's probably that the 3rd gear synchro is worn out in your transmission. This is a tough problem to have because they aren't easy to replace. Essentially the syncros help the transmission gears match speeds so that shifting is easier. Since your synchro is worn out, the gear itself may also have sustained some unusual wear, which may explain the popping out of gear.

In short, time a new tranny, unless you want to get elbows deep into rebuilding the one you have. Your transmission will get you around just fine, but using 3rd gear is going to be a major pain.