Need Help!!!!

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

armageddon32695
Prelude Enthusiast

Need Help!!!!

Post by armageddon32695 »

I have an 85 SI that I bought about two months ago. When I bought the car everything checked out fine and the guy said that there was a new motor put in the car about 60k prior to me buying it. I started having problems with the car about two weeks ago. I have had so many different problems with the radiator but I finally fixed all of those. When I finished fixing the most recent problem on the radiator today I tried starting the car and it would not start for almost 10 minutes and when it finally did it was smoking like crazy out of the exhaust. When I put a clean white rag to the exhaust and let the smoke hit it there was not any residue left on the rag so I am pretty sure it isn't oil otherwise there would be oil residue left on the rag right? Anyways, once it finally started, I took it for a spin around the block. It ran alright but was idling rough. When I got it back to my house I let it sit for about half hour before starting it up again and trying it out. I did this and when I took it around the block again it was not smoking anywhere near as bad but I noticed a tremendous loss of power. I used to be able to go from 0-60 within about 7 seconds (I know, nothing to be too terribly proud of but its a stock motor with no mods) but I gunned it and there was a huge lag on the throttle response. Even when I shifted the throttle response just wasn't there. It took me about a minute to even get up to 45mph. And now when I just took it for a drive again it did not gain speed going on a flat road and much less going up a hill. I tried going up a residential road that I turned on going 30mph and I was in second gear and it would not go any faster than 22mph with my foot on the floor. Any ideas what could be causing this? I am thinking it could be the plugs or distributor and now the fuel pump.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Need Help!!!!

Post by spiffyguido »

What color is the "smoke"? White? Blue?