what kind of engin can i put in my 87 lude

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Cancer
Lude Dude

what kind of engin can i put in my 87 lude

Post by Cancer »

hay guys im just wondering if theres another engin that i could get more horse power out of then the stock one im running in my 87 lude. shes a daily driver for my so i would like to get something i can put on a stand and start working on till its ready to drop in. im really new to all this so please forgive me i want to do up my engin without wrecking something in the process. im going to get a CAI and a new exaust system but im not a big fan of super noisy mufflers whats out there that will improve my performance but keep it quiet and also is there anything i need to wory about before just throwing a turbo on what am i going to have to replace or upgrade to handle the turbo before i blow up my engin

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: what kind of engin can i put in my 87 lude

Post by spiffyguido »

As long as you're not going to run too much boost, the stock setup is probably fine for a turbo. These are cast-iron block engines, so they're very strong. If you're wanting to push a lot of boost, then you need to start thinking about lowering the compression, getting stronger rods/pistons and setting up an intercooler.

As far as engines go, the best engine that was made for that model was the B20A that came in the 2nd generation JDM and EDM Preludes. Keep in mind, this is NOT the same as the engine that came in the 3rd generation Preludes, so be careful of the year of the engine if you're shopping for one. I believe it's still possible to find one of these engines, but you'll have to pay to have it shipped from Japan, and you'll need the ECU and wiring harness that goes with it. You also need the special Prelude hood that was made to accommodate the B20A. It has a distinctive hump on one side the make room for the valve cover.

Personally, for cost reasons, I'd start with making the engine that you have a little zippier. I've read several writeups that suggest the little A20 that you have takes boost quite well.

Cancer
Lude Dude

Post by Cancer »

sweet thanks man i will do some more research and if i run into some problems i might be back , o ya do you have any sugestions for me on mufflers that DONT blow out your eardrums i cant stand those ppl

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I had a monza exhaust from PaceSetter on my 2nd gen many years ago. Not even sure if they still make them.

It was pretty quiet at low RPMs, but made a ton of noise once the RPMs crept over 3500.

Since it's pretty hard to find a full cat-back system for such an old car, I'd start by just researching some mufflers. Many manufacturers list the sound levels of their pipes. Choose a quiet one, and then have some exhaust pipe custom bent for you. Install the muffler and you're good to go.