egr ports

Second Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

stu2zoo31
Prelude Enthusiast

egr ports

Post by stu2zoo31 »

hey does anyone know there the egr ports are located on an 87 2.0?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: egr ports

Post by spiffyguido »

Are you referring to the ports on the intake manifold or on the exhaust manifold?

stu2zoo31
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by stu2zoo31 »

i really dont know.. someone told me to check my egr ports because my car is currently not running to well... it happened about a week ago when i was jsut driving along and my car just randomly started running like crap and my pgm-fi light came on. i checked the code and it was an egr code. so i went cleaned my egr and the tube right below it that runs to the exhaust manifold and it was fine for about 3 days and now its running even worse. so someone told me to check my egr ports since ive already done everything else.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

If you cleaned the exhaust side, try cleaning out the intake side as well. Perhaps that's where the system is all gooed up.

stu2zoo31
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by stu2zoo31 »

how would i go about cleaning that side?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You'll need to remove the egr valve from the intake tract. It's held on by two bolts I believe.

stu2zoo31
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by stu2zoo31 »

ok ive removed the egr and everything before and cleaned the egr but do i just stick a wire down the hole to clean the intake side or what?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

All I was referring to was just the opening where the EGR valve meets the intake manifold. If that's clean, I don't see how it could cause trouble. If both the exhaust end and intake end ports are clean, I'd start investigating the EGR valve itself.

stu2zoo31
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by stu2zoo31 »

Well the egr itself seems pretty darn clean... In fact it looks like the newest thing on the engine.. It has no cracks in the diaphragm and the vacuum is working.. The only thing left thAt could be wrong with it is the electrical part on top but I don't know how to check to see if that is working correctly.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The only way to see if the sensor itself is working is through diagnostics. Check the service manual in our manuals section. Some sensors can be tested by using a multi-meter across some of the plug pins. If available for the EGR, this procedure would be detailed in the service manual.