Camshaft Position Sensor leaks oil: where to get one

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Debbie Prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Camshaft Position Sensor leaks oil: where to get one

Post by Debbie Prelude »

New to forum. I love my little black 91 Honda Prelude. Original owner. Blast to drive. But. . . .

my mechanic has had it for months now because it has a oil leak. A never-ending oil leak. Replaced Camshaft Position Sensor with one that was bought on E-Bay for $160 but it also leaks. I can't get parts for this car. Ok guys, I'm willing to go to a junk yard to try to take one off of an old Prelude if I can find one. Or, does anyone have suggestions on how I can get parts for my car? It's getting more and more difficult to find parts. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Camshaft Position Sensor leaks oil: where to get one

Post by spiffyguido »

Sometimes the junk yard is actually your best bet. Many of the OEM parts are no longer being sold, so you either have to get an aftermarket part from a normal auto parts store, or shop around on the web a lot for Honda dealers that have old parts still stocked.

For online shopping, if you're in the states, I always suggest hondaautomotiveparts.com. They have an extensive selection.

Any chance of getting the leak to stop with a gasket making product?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Also....I must mention my envy over the fact that you are the original owner of a 3rd gen prelude. What a treasure.

Debbie Prelude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Debbie Prelude »

What's confusing is that this part is referred to as a camshaft position sensor, cam position sensor, pressure switch and a CYL sensor. Ok. I'm learning and better educated now, maybe. Went to junk yard and pulled camshaft position sensor from Prelude that looked like it had been raped. Sad. However, $11 price was better than $160 bad one I bought on-line. Gasket crumbled, so I'll have mechanic make me a new one.

I have read many posts. I don't understand why this part leaks oil. It looks like it would be a simple o-ring replacement. But, according to my mechanic, there is some type of internal seal that you can't get to. Huh? Again, after reading many posts here with diagrams, it appears you have to completely take this sensor apart, just to get to the o-ring. http://www.preludepower.com/forums/show ... p?t=215140. I'll talk to my mechanic again to verify what he means and take him the part I salvaged.

Yes, love my cream puff Prelude. Guys leave notes on my car all the time wanting to buy it--I have a collection of them.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Would love to see pics of the car.