Just bought 1990 Prelude 4WS

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

clu522
Lude Dude

Just bought 1990 Prelude 4WS

Post by clu522 »

Guys, I just bought the 1990 prelude 4ws for $900. Body is nice, no rust, paint still good but it needs to repaint in next year or so.
Current I have some issue on the car. First the clutch paddle stays at the bottom it doesnt goes up. I replace the Master clutch cylinder it still the same.... any advise? second, it has the check engine light but I don't know where to read the code to find out what happen... 3rd when i turn the wheels all the way to each directions it makes very loud noise, the sell told me it comes from the belt. I wondering is PS pump issue. Finally, how to fix the rough start, you need put your foot on the gas paddle to help the car start then you need to accelerate the car until it warm up then it doesn't stall.

please help.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Just bought 1990 Prelude 4WS

Post by spiffyguido »

I'll answer your questions as best I can.

1. Your clutch pedal is likely staying down because the clutch hydraulic lines are not bled correctly, or there is a leak somewhere in the system. When you replaced the master cylinder did you bleed the lines and check for leaks?

2. See here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=706

3. What type of noise? A squeal? A thud? A bang? If the PS pump is to blame, you'll hear a whining sound. If this only happens when you're at full lock then it's probably just the pump straining against the ends of your steering rack and nothing to worry about. You can check your belt tension to be sure.

4. Address #2 and then see if you still have starting issues. Often starting/running problems are fixed by addressing the check engine light.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Thanks, I will double check this Saturday.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

ok, I checked the car againt last night, replaces slave cylind, will do the master today. What is the procedure for bleed the clutch line? and yes the engine has rought starts and RPM drives up and down. 4 spark NGK plug replaced. I will read the computer LED code and provide info later on today.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Yes, Clutch line bleeded, now it is working. However, speedmeter doesn't work. Sometime it works sometime doesn't. any advise? and RPM still jumping up and down.... is fast idle sensor issue?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

For the speedometer, I'd start by checking that the connection points at the transmission seem to be in good shape. The speed sensor is housed in a small box shaped part that is fastened to the top of the transmission. You'll see it near the shift linkages and it will have some wires coming out of it. Check the connection, and watch for ECU codes indicating a problem with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

If your idle is fluctuating, the fast idle valve (IAC valve) is often to blame. More info here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=310

Most often the fluctuating idle problem can be fixed without replacing any parts, often by bleeding the coolant.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

I will check on that. Get any chance do u have video for transmission? Some how everytime I shift into 3rd gear it grid , do you have idea to fix this issue?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

We don't currently have any videos about the transmission.

The grind going into 3rd is almost certainly a worn out synchro ring. Changing those out is very difficult and requires taking the transmission apart. Best bet is to just try to time your shifts into that gear carefully.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

today i locate the ecu led. i got 6, 15, 17 code. after i clean the sensor n unplug the ignation plug reset the 10A fuse two if the code disppear only 6 remain. also i find out my back up sensor is not connect, is there will be the issue?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Code 6 is the Coolant Temperature sensor. It's the two-wire sensor that is in the thermostat housing. Usually the plug is green. To locate, follow the upper rad hose to the engine. The thermostat housing starts at the engine side of the upper rad hose. There will be a few sensors here....you're looking for the two-wire one with the cylindrical plug. These wear out over time, and usually when they do the car becomes difficult to start once it has warmed up. I'd replace that sensor. A used one from a wrecker will often work find if you're pinched for cash.

ECU codes are here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=706

The back up sensor is probably either a wiring problem or the reverse switch is faulty. It'll probably only prevent your reverse lights from coming on.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Nice, After futher inspection. I discover the Coolant Temp Sensor plug wires snap. I end up DIY the connection. I got 5V from the Green wires and yellow 0v.
I order TX37 Temp Sensor off ebay for $14. Hope it will fix the problem. Only issue, hard to start the car when it's cold. once the engine is warm up there is no issue. do you know where I should be looking at for this small minor issue? I gonna take some picture of the vehicle once I complete it... I will try to film the video for changing TW sensor.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Fix the coolant temp sensor first and then see if your starting problems go away. It might be the source of the problem.

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Waiting for part to be arrived. Hope this is the main cause rough start issue. Speed sensor is acting weird, sometime speed meter works fine, this morning went dead for 10 mins then work again.... any suggestion?
Is speed sensor locate above the temperature sensor? I thought that was cam control sensor?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

See the 6th post in this thread. I gave tips for the speedometer:

viewtopic.php?p=9701#p9701

clu522
Lude Dude

Post by clu522 »

Thanks for all the tips and helps. :)