overheating problems, temp gauge stays on low

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

rhymesayer29
Prelude Enthusiast

overheating problems, temp gauge stays on low

Post by rhymesayer29 »

I have a 96 prelude h23a1. The car has been sitting for a while. I tried to start it back up and noticed that it was overheating just sitting in my garage. I checked the oil to check for a blown head gasket. The cars temp gauge stays on low even when it overheats. The fans do not kick on at all unless ac or heater are turned on. I replaced the radiator, the thermostat, the engine coolant sensor that sits inside the thermostat housing. Could it be the coolant fan relay? Ive tested the radiator fan with direct.power and it works. Any help is welcomed.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: overheating problems, temp gauge stays on low

Post by spiffyguido »

Did you check the coolant temperature sensor in the bottom of the radiator?

Are you loosing coolant?

rhymesayer29
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rhymesayer29 »

I have not checked that sensor. I am not losing and coolant. However, I noticed that when I turn the heater on, only one of the two hoses that go to the heater core are hot. So in turn the heater does not work. Could the system be clogged with gunk? I also as I remember correctly, I dont think I saw any sensors on the radiator itself. The car is manual. What does the sensor in the top radiator hose where it meets the block? What is its primary duty?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Depending on which engine you have, there will be two or three sensors where the top radiator hose meets the block.

One will have a two wire barrel plug (usually green). That's the coolant temperature sensor which sends data to the ECU to control idle and choke.

The other is just a temperature sensor used to monitor engine temp.

Your heater core might be clogged, but that doesn't explain the overheating of the engine. You need to get your fan working, as it should kick on if the engine gets hot. You'll have to check the wiring diagram to be sure, but I believe the radiator fan is driven by the temperature from the sensor in the bottom of the radiator.

rhymesayer29
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rhymesayer29 »

I have the h23a1. Today I began to take alot of hoses off and the one that leads from the thermostat housing to the bottom of the throttle body was clogged completely at the housing. Also the side hose at the housing was clogged completely and that one leads to some sort of solenoid in the front portion of the throttle body. The water pump tube that leads from that housing before the thermostat had signs of rust and sludge. Is there anyway to test to see if the blades on the water pump when out and corroded? The pump itself is not leaking, nothing is and there is no unusual noise coming from there.

rhymesayer29
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by rhymesayer29 »

Somebody help besides the moderator, I know there is a crap ton of lude gear heads out there