My blend door seems jammed?

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

KCKippenhan
Prelude Enthusiast

My blend door seems jammed?

Post by KCKippenhan »

Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm a new member. I hope I'm not asking a FAQ, but I'm having no luck finding an answer. I just bought a 1995 Prelude. The blend door lever is in the "hot " position, but no heat comes out of the vents. When I try moving the lever into "cold" it moves about an inch and stops with great resistance. My coolant is full and both heater hoses are the same temperature. I poked around under the counsel on the passenger side and found where the temperature control cable connects to from the lever. I disconnected it and moved the lever with ease as I watched the cable move in and out, ruling out a bad cable. I pushed on the pin that the cable connects to and could only move it a short distance and when I let go the pin moved back into its starting position. Has anybody had this problem? At this point I'm thinking something is jamming the blend door but I don't know what. There seems to be a system of levers and swivel arms between where the cable connects and the actual blend door itself, and with it being tucked under the dash and having the center counsel in the way, I'm having much difficulty moving forward in diagnosing the problem. I'm really hoping to avoid having to take the dash off and disconnecting the heater hoses because I know that's necessary in order to pull the whole unit out. Does anyone have any suggestions other than pulling the whole thing? I thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: My blend door seems jammed?

Post by spiffyguido »

RedRacer discusses the air mixing and vent system extensively in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=629

See if it helps you pinpoint trouble and we can help you further from there.

KCKippenhan
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: My blend door seems jammed?

Post by KCKippenhan »

I figured it out. The heater control valve was rusted stuck in the cold position.