Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Preludedude
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 95' VTEC

1995 Prelude VTEC engien Dies after high speed

Post by Preludedude »

H22A1-

If im fooling around, and hit 100 mph, wail shifting when my shifter reaches the neutral position, the car dies, and if i slow down in put it back in gear and slowly let out the clutch it will start right back up but a few miles after the car dieing it will continue to die even at low speeds, but eventually goes away. The problem doesn't occur after ever time i go at high speeds. But if anyone else has had this problem and knows what can be causing the issue i be grateful to hear what you guys think.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 1995 Prelude VTEC engien Dies after high speed

Post by spiffyguido »

Gosh. That's a tricky one.

Do Preludes have a 100mph fuel cut limiter? Not that I know of.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

No, no 100 mph fuel cut off..... At least I've certainly never seen one.

As Spiffy said, could be a lot of things.

Sounds to me like a fuel to air issue, fuel filter/lines getting clogged under high fuel pressure delivery. Does it still have a catalytic converter on the exhaust?

Saw a friend's Accord act similar, and it turned out his cat was clogged up. High speed caused high temps, everything got hot and exhaust couldn't flow correctly, engine wouldn't stay running.

I'd start with checking fuel pressure and filters...... start small, work up from there.

Keep us posted and we'll see what we can come up with.

Preludedude
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 95' VTEC

Post by Preludedude »

Yeah, I do have the catalytic converter, It probably does need to be cleaned, it does have 217k on it i have no idea if anyone has done it at all in the cars life time. but i will start small and keep you guys updated.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

While you're looking it over, be sure to check simple things. For example, doing an idle adjustment as described in the service manual is worthwhile. Knowing that the basics are taken care of will help you weed out the real issue.

I agree with Red that your issue might be due to the high heats achieved during extended aggressive running. Catalytic converter is certainly one possibility. Other things are heat activated as well, like the engine's idle control system, etc.