ECU Reset

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

ECU Reset

Post by RedRacer »

Sometimes it's a good idea to reset the ECU. After a tune-up or after having messed with the intake, putting in a new intake, filter, etc.

Or just to start clean and get the car running right.

I believe in the thorough method for wiping the slate. ECU's use fuzzy logic, so anything left on the map will interfere with the ability of the ECU to arrive at the right decision. Clear it all out and you're re-mapping the ECU from the beginning.

Pull the battery cables off. Both of them. Just do it, okay?

Let the car sit for at least ten minutes with no power.

Connect the cables back. Making sure that you have no accessories, etc. on inside the car, everything turned off... start the engine. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE/GAS PEDAL WHEN STARTING! Very important! Just turn the key and start the engine.

Let the engine idle for at least 4 minutes. At this point the engine should drop down to normal temp idle anyway....after 4 minutes, turn the engine off.

You have officially reset your ECU.

Now, start the engine and take the car for a drive under your normal driving habits. This will let the engine computer re-map itself and set the proper throttle, air-fuel mix, etc. and get used to how you drive.

You can do this as often as you wish. I do it at least every few months on general principle and the car always runs top notch. If I skip it for a long time, the performance degrades and I CAN tell.

Josh

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com