93 prelude no start

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Justinuk1
Prelude Enthusiast

93 prelude no start

Post by Justinuk1 »

Been driving this car around for a few weeks, getting it cleaned up and ready to smog. But encountered quite a set back today.

Plug wires were bad. Very old, so I went to replace them with new HE77 NKG's (checked the firing order many many times).

Car ran and started fine up until wire swap. Old wires were falling apart. The wire linking the distributor to the coil was the worst. When I pulled the boot from the coil, there was no connector, just filled with powdered rust where the connector should have seated (how was this running?!).

After replacing the wires, the car does not start. I'm leaning towards the coil, but I can't figure out why it would work before, and stop working with better wires installed. It has to be something simple that'll make me look stupid.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may choose to share.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 93 prelude no start

Post by spiffyguido »

I would've suggested that you double check the firing order, but that's done, so we'll move on to other things.

The rusty condition of the coil contacts certainly has me wondering. Double check the integrity there, and see the service manual for instructions on how to test the coil itself. I believe the service manual has some info that may help.

As with all electrical problems, start with the simple things. Check all your fuses, and anything else that might count as a "simple" point of failure.

I take it that the car is turning over, but just won't start. Does it even try to fire? Or do you just get nothing at all?

I assume the new wires snapped onto your plugs okay. If you care to, it's not super hard to test fire the plugs on the car. Just disconnect the relevant fuel injector, pull out the plug, then touch the side of the plug to the engine to ground it out while someone turns over the car. You'll see spark if its working. Whatever you do though, don't get your fingers anywhere near where the spark happens on the plug. Getting shocked by a spark plug is wildly unpleasant.