HELP.....'97lude

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jqelmalcriao
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 97 Base

HELP.....'97lude

Post by jqelmalcriao »

i want some help on getting my 1997 prelude to feel like a 2010 car.... i been neglecting my car...its about time i give it some love....whoever has some pointers please help me.....i dont want to race it i just want it healthy. problems with transmission kikn, ac.
automatic, 160,000+, oil changed 3 days ago since the oil cooler oring busted..but it was done regularly, but other than that no fluid changes, tune up was done almost 3months ago, all stock

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: HELP.....'97lude

Post by spiffyguido »

What parts of your lude in particular do you think need work? You mentioned the transmission and air-conditioning. Anything else?

jqelmalcriao
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 97 Base

Post by jqelmalcriao »

spiffyguido wrote:What parts of your lude in particular do you think need work? You mentioned the transmission and air-conditioning. Anything else?
honestly i been thinking about a tranmission swap to 5speed and some major engine work but have no clue where to start. and mechanics out here are sketchy

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Post by S-LudeDan »

yes you must swap to manual, I'll explain why. 5th gen auto transmissions are not good like 3rd and 4th gens. In fact they are so horrible that back in the day Honda had to extend the warranty on automatic 5th gens.

5th gen auto trans usually die out at 100k. I'm very surprised you made it this far. I would recommend to get a 5 speed manual swap, and if you really want to stay with auto trans, then get one from a 4th gen Prelude, they are known to last forever.
My 4th gen auto lude has 207k on it, and it looks and runs like a 2010 car, and I have people on this forum that will back up my statement.