Need engine mountings, preferably new 5th Gen 2.2 Vtec

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

prelerepairman
Prelude Enthusiast

Need engine mountings, preferably new 5th Gen 2.2 Vtec

Post by prelerepairman »

I've recently upgraded from 2.0i Prelude to a 1999 5th gen 2.2 vtec Prelude and get an annoying creak just as car moves off..or when I come to a stop. Having refitted front springs which previous owner had fitted upside down I'm now suspecting either the bottom nearside front wishbone main rubber mount...or the engine mountings. Seems silly to replace with 2nd hand ones so do any of you know a source of any of the above at a sensible price? Must be loads going dusty on shelves somewhere?? Thanks for reading this.
PS I'm in Edinburgh.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Need engine mountings, preferably new 5th Gen 2.2 Vtec

Post by spiffyguido »

Many Honda dealers sell OEM parts online. www.hondaautomotiveparts.com, for example. The trouble will be getting them to ship to Scotland. I'm in Canada and the dealer I had been using no longer ships outside of the US. That means you have to rely on a local dealer to order the parts in for you, or if you have a friend in the US, have the package sent to them and then let them forward it to you.

Mounts and bushings can be expensive though, so I'd suggest spending some more time pinpointing the exact source of your sound. Sometimes little squeaks like that can come from unexpected places. Even a rubber hose will squeak if it is rubbing against something.

If you find the problem, and the bushing or mount isn't damaged, you can try just greasing the area to see if it helps stop the sound. Just make sure to use a grease that won't degrade the rubber.