Did head gasket, and now it runs poorly

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

blakbanshee
Prelude Enthusiast

Did head gasket, and now it runs poorly

Post by blakbanshee »

Hello,

My name is Ben and I have beautiful black 2000 lude and I'm in need of some assistance. I'm a novice at most things and have been working on my car with the help of youtube and various manuals for the last few years. I recently had a problem with a misfire and ended up having 2 bend valves and a busted valve guild. I removed my own head, left block in car, and brought it to a shop to be serviced. I got it back put the new head gasket on, along with all the various and sundry gaskets involved in that process, as well as a new timing belt and put everything back together. I started her up for the first time the other night and she runs... sorta.

I'm getting a pretty bad shake to the engine, that was not there before, and I'm getting what might be a whining noise and might be a ticking noise that seems to be coming from under the the valve cover. I made a video if that will help and I can post it. I'm looking for advice but here is what I'm thinking about doing. I think I'm going to do a valve adjustment as well as check my ignition timing. There is also a possibility that the auto tensioner is not functioning properly after I put it back in and my timing belt might be too loose, I had it perfectly set in TDC but after running it a little it might have jumped a tooth or two if the belt was too loose.

As another thought I'm quite sure that I need to do a coolant flush for the engine block and I started to do one but because it was idling so poorly I decided not to finish it so I'm sure there are air pockets in the cooling system right now. I'm not sure what to do about this and how much this is going to add to my symptoms.

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Did head gasket, and now it runs poorly

Post by spiffyguido »

I take it that the head was fully repaired? Had there been any damage to the pistons or cylinders?

blakbanshee
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by blakbanshee »

Not that I know of, they were really dirty so I cleaned them with a plastic scraper and some cleaning gunk and I don't think I scratched them. The cylinders were scratch free from what I could tell although if i were to guess my piston rings are prolly a little worn. And yes the head was fully repaired by the shop.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Did you do a compression test after you got everything back together?

I'd be interested in seeing that video you mentioned if you're able to post it.