why does my car turn off everytime I stop

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

hondachick82
Lude Dude

why does my car turn off everytime I stop

Post by hondachick82 »

I am trying to figure out why my car turns off everytime I have to stop at a light or a stop sign or even when I just slow down to turn a corner. I tried to adjust the idle but that didn't help. I noticed that the fuel pressure gauge keeps bouncing. It's getting really annoying, I have to restart the car almost everytime I have to stop somewhere but I'm out of ideas so I appreciate any hints or ideas.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: why does my car turn off everytime I stop

Post by spiffyguido »

Any trouble codes on the ECU?

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

Nope, the srs light has been on but that's it

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You mentioned your fuel pressure gauge was fluctuating. Can you describe further? What type of fuel pressure gauge is your car equipped with?

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

I'm not sure about the pressure gauge it came with the car when I bought it. It's an aftermarket one I know that.
It started acting funny while I am driving. It feels like if something tries to pull me back and than let's go.
It's really annoying.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

What does the fuel pressure gauge read? What fuel pressure?

Does the engine ever try to stall or stumble when you're accelerating, or only when you have your foot off the gas pedal or are decelerating?

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

The pressure gauge is on about 35 to 36 psi.
The engine does both, it stalls when I accelerate and decelerate.
When I take my foot of the gas the rpm most of the time drops so far that it just turns off.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Those fuel pressures sound about right. Spec fuel pressure for the H22A engine is 35-41 psi with the vacuum hose disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator. You can pull the vacuum hose to double check the value if you want, but I think your issue is elsewhere. Fuel delivery as far as the fuel rail likely isn't your issue.

This type of problem often stems from one of the sensors malfunctioning. That's why I asked if the ECU was giving any trouble codes. Just cause there are no codes though, doesn't mean all is well.

I had a bogging issue on my car once that ended up being due to my EACV suddenly going bad. It was horrendously hard to troubleshoot and yielded similar symptoms as you're getting. As a quick test, you can disconnect the EACV to see if you get different behaviour. There's a diagram on page 9-2 of the 4th gen shop manual (see our manuals section). This is just a thought, there are many other possibilities.

I've seen bad TPS sensors cause similar problems as well, but those generally yield dead spots in the pedal action (car only accelerates fully floored, etc.) which it doesn't sound like you're having.

The only thing to do now is to start going over the basics in search for trouble. Some of the sensors can be tested. Things like the condition of the spark plugs can be easily verified. Check your air intake for blockage.

I'd also be interested in any other information you're able to offer about the car. Has there been any work done lately? When did this start happening? Has the car been generally running well (good power, easy to start, etc)?

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

Thanks, I've been thinking about the sensors but haven't had the time to get to them.
There's not been any work done on the car lately and I do everything myself on it cause I don't really like mechanics.
It started and ran just fine before this started about a month and a half ago, the only other thing is that I could never really figure out if my vtec was actually working or not.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Is the speedometer working on your car?

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

Yea

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

K. Just thought I'd ask as sometimes speedometer issues cause trouble with VTEC. Your car has the first version of VTEC which is quite noticeable when it engages. You should be able to feel it for sure.