please help! why doe's my cat turn fire red???

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

hondachick82
Lude Dude

please help! why doe's my cat turn fire red???

Post by hondachick82 »

So I have a 95 accord with an h22a4. The car has been running like crap for a while now and been trying to figure out what the problem is.
It started out with it randomly jerking and shutting off on the highway but it would only be off for a couple seconds and then restart by itself. I started testing and switching out parts trying to figure out why it is doe's that.
A couple weeks ago I noticed after going just one block that my cat was glowing bright red, two days later I replaced it and it did the same thing.
Right now the car runs like sxxt, it sounds like sxxt and whenever I stop for a stop sign or a red light or even if I just go around the corner, I guess it every time I take my foot off the gas and the rpm goes down, it'll turn off on me but it'll start right back up. I believe it's misfiring too, every time I shift into the next gear I can hear it go "poppop".
I replaced spark plugs and wires and looked and the wires again to make sure they're in the right order.
I can't figure it out, please somebody help me.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: please help! why doe's my cat turn fire red???

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. The misfiring and backfiring lead me to wonder if you have an injector or two that're leaking and leading to some fuel combustion downstream of the cylinder. That might explain why your cat is getting toasty...it might literally have a fire burning in it while the car is running.

Testing injectors is a pain in the butt, but it can be done. I'd be very careful as you work this problem through. Don't start an unwanted fire if there is in fact a fuel leak.

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

Thank you, I'll try the injectors. What about the timing? I was thinking that might have something to do with the misfiring.

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

Thanks so much for the tip, two injectors were cracked on the bottom and one didn't work right.
Testing em really wasn't such a pain though either.
Thanks again

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Is all well now that you've swapped them for some good one?

hondachick82
Lude Dude

Post by hondachick82 »

Well, it's better but something is still not right. This car is driving me up the wall but I love my car, I do everything myself on it and there really aren't a lot of people that I let work on my car. Not even my husband is allowed to touch it. But I've been thinking about to just take it to a mechanic and have them check it out, just so they can tell me what's wrong then I can fix it myself. Cause if it keeps running like this I'm not gonna make it to the racetrack next year neither. I guess with a car that starts acting funny if I go past 80mph I don't even have to try to race it.