By-passing immobilizer with dealer key and code.

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

pfpd5895
Prelude Enthusiast

By-passing immobilizer with dealer key and code.

Post by pfpd5895 »

Hi everyone. As a long time Honda owner, (79 & 91 Civic, 85 Accord, 96 Passport, 93 Prelude, and soon Odyssey), I'm a bit baffled with the immobilizer system. I currently own a 93 Prelude VTech without the immobilizer in it. A friend of mine has a 2000 Prelude and had his keys and programming key stolen. The dealer gave him a key and a code to use to get it started to get to the dealership for new system. The problem is, when entering the code with the E-Brake, the security light still blinks and the car will not turn over.Any suggestions on the proper way to input the code?? Thanks in advance for your help. :?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: By-passing immobilizer with dealer key and code.

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi pfpd5895,

Welcome to the forums. I'm not very experienced with the immobilizer systems either, but I did find an old thread that contains a bunch of information that might help you. Have a look: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=383

pfpd5895
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by pfpd5895 »

Thanks for the reply, This vehicle had the radio stolen also, but was told this had nothing to do with the starting problem. The dealer supplied key is not coded and is used just to start and get the car to the dealership. Just looking for the proper way to input the code to by-pass the security features in order to get the car there. They gave us the code, but it does not accept it the way they told us to put it in. Our closest Honda dealership is an hour away, so we would like to drive the car there. I'm sure we must be doing something wrong, but the tech. at the dealership can't figure out what. Any help would be appreciated. The car is usually stored over the winter. Just like to get it running and know it will run in the spring. Will be towing it next week if we can't figure it out. Thanks again!!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

It's very difficult to find information on this procedure. I didn't find anything in the manual, but did manage to find something out on the web that might help. It seems the procedure goes some line this:

These steps are from Honda, but I'm not certain they apply to your year of Prelude. Worth a shot though.

Let's say the code is 54342

Procedure:

1) Insert the new key in ignition switch and turn to ON (II) position. Indicator light flashes continuously after the initial 2 sec. indication?

2) Enter the first digit of the cancel code by pulling and releasing the parking brake five times.

3) Turn the ignition to OFF position.

4) Turn the ignition to ON position and enter the second code by pulling and releasing the parking brake four times and turn ignition OFF.

5) Repeat step (e) for the remaining three codes.

6) After entering the last digit, turn the ignition OFF, confirm that the indicator light flashes five times. If not, repeat the above procedure.

The engine can now start and run until the ignition is turned off. The immobilizer indicator light will remain ON when operated in cancel mode.

Important: The engine will start or re-start if no more than ten minutes have elapsed since switching off. The five digit code must be entered again if more than ten minutes have elapsed. This provides vehicle security.

pfpd5895
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by pfpd5895 »

sorry I Didn't reply earlier. We did find the the programming key. Turns out, it was useless. The dealer still had to replace the immobiliser unit an replace the keys. Go figure. Must have been a slow month. Thanks for you input. I really appreciate it.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

No prob.

Glad you got it all sorted.