Honda Prelude 98 brake problem. HELP!

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

mongolmal
Prelude Enthusiast

Honda Prelude 98 brake problem. HELP!

Post by mongolmal »

I have a Honda Prelude 98 and my brakes stopped working a while ago. When I hit the brakes, the pedal would drop to the floor with little or no pressure. I tried replacing the master cylinder but that didn't do anything. Took out the brake booster but seemed to be working just fine. What else could possible be wrong with it? Could it be the ABS?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Honda Prelude 98 brake problem. HELP!

Post by spiffyguido »

No, it can't be the ABS.

You must have a break in your lines somewhere. I would go over every brake line and check for leaks. One your banjo bolts on the calipers may have failed as well.

Check everything over very carefully. Also, don't drive the car until you get it fixed.

mongolmal
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by mongolmal »

I found out that car that has ABS, it has to be turned on to be bled. So I tried that and the brakes are working fine now. I put on new brake pads and it was working fine until car started turning off when i get to a stop sign or something like that and it would just start back up just fine. After few days later, it turned off when I was driving and I turned it back on but this time, when I hit the gas pedal, the car would just die on me. It would barely make it to 5mph and dies on me. What could be causing this? Bad fuel pump, ruptured fuel line, clogged fuel filter? Could all of those be a possibility?/

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The running problems could be caused by any number of things, including the possibilities you listed.

As a first check, when this happens, do you get a check engine light? The ECU codes are invaluable for troubleshooting these types of problems.