97 Prelude Transmission Swap & Engine work

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jqelmalcriao
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 97 Base

97 Prelude Transmission Swap & Engine work

Post by jqelmalcriao »

I have a 97 prelude automatic which i want to change to manual. i also want to get my engine to the best shape it can be. i would like some info on this project i want to get myself into since i dont know much about mechanics. when i comes to electrical and cosmetic im good but cant do mechanics.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 97 Prelude Transmission Swap & Engine work

Post by spiffyguido »

Changing a car from automatic to manual is a lot of work. Many people would probably agree that it is easier and cheaper to just go and buy a manual car.

If however, you want to go ahead with the swap, here's (in general) what has to be done.

-The tranny must be swapped for the manual transmission.
-The ECU has to be switched to a manual transmission version.
-The center console has to be replaced with a manual transmission format and all related shift hardware has to be added.

This is a major amount of work and requires that the car undergo an extensive strip down.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Post by S-LudeDan »

Just wanna add to Spiffy's post. You might also need to drill new holes for the transmission mounts.

brandon88
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1999

Post by brandon88 »

would you be willing to sell the automatic to me i mean if theres nothing wrong with it i would be more than happy to take it off your hands

JDM_ROB
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by JDM_ROB »

Lol yall guys dont know what yall are talking about, im doing the swapp right now dont need to drill anything for the motor mounts, the only thing you will have to drill is the firewall to install the clutch master cylinder, and you can keep ur center console, also u dont need to change ur ecu, u can use the auto there is forums u can read and it tells you how to use ur auto ecu, and steps to do the swapp!